Financial Conflict of Interest
Effective August 1, 2012, the University of Massachusetts Medical School has implemented a Policy for Promoting Objectivity in Biomedical Research to comply with new federal financial conflict of interest reporting and training requirements. The new federal requirements are intended to promote objectivity in research by establishing standards that provide a reasonable expectation that the design, conduct, and reporting of sponsored research will be free from bias resulting from Investigator financial conflicts of interest.
Major changes include:
- A more inclusive definition of "Investigator"
- A revised disclosure process at the application stage
- Lower financial disclosure thresholds
- Disclosure of all activities relating to "Institutional Responsibilities"
- A requirement to disclose sponsored travel
- A new conflict-of-interest training requirement
The Office of Research has created this website to provide the UMMS research community with the resources needed to understand and manage this process.
FCOI Policy, Presentations and Resources:
Click here for the UMMS Policy on Conflict of Interest.
Click here for the UMMS HRP-120 Management of Financial Interests Policy.
Click here for a slide presentation detailing the regulatory requirements.
Click here for the slides presented at the OSP FCOI Research Administration Update information session on July 9, 2012.
Click here for the most recent listing of UMMS personnel who have completed the CITI COI training module.