Faculty Career Flexibility
At times during their careers, faculty members face challenges requiring flexibility in their goals and effort. UMMS provides policies, procedures and resources in the following areas to assist faculty achieve career flexibility and work-life balance:
Part-time Employment: Faculty may seek a part-time effort assignment by negotiation with their department chair, dean or program director. For more information see the Guidelines for Part Time Faculty Effort at UMMS/UMMMG.
Retirement: Transition through retirement is a major life passage that affects both the faculty member and the Institution. The OFA, in partnership with the Human Resources Departments of the UMMS and UMMMG and with the input of focused work groups, has developed pre-retirement, retirement and post retirement programs, guidelines, and materials to aid both faculty and their Departments. For more information see Transition Through Retirement.
Extension of Probationary Period for Tenure Track Faculty: The 8-year probationary period for faculty on the tenure track may be extended to a maximum of 12 years on request by the faculty member. For more information, see Extension of the Probationary Period (Section 4.5.e of the Academic Personnel Policy).
Family and Medical Leave: Faculty members employed by either UMMS or UMMHC may be granted leave pursuant to the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA).
- Download the FMLA policy for UMMS-employed faculty. (UMMS Intranet site: login required)
- Download the FMLA policy for UMMHC-employed faculty (UMMHC Ournet site: login required)
Wellness: For resources and information related to personal wellness, burnout and resilience, see the links below:
- Burnout The burnout of clinicians is recognized as a national problem. What is burnout and what causes it?
- Strategies for Resilience How can burnout be prevented? How can individuals enhance their resilience to stress? How can institutions address the problem?
- Resources for Wellness Programs and resources provided by UMMS and UMMHC to help individuals maintain wellness.