Periodic Multi-Year Review of Tenured Faculty (PMYR)
The purpose of the PMYR is to evaluate the performance and goals of tenured faculty members over a longer time period than the Annual Performance Review and foster the continued professional development and high levels of performance expected of tenured faculty (APP, Section 4.4). Tenured faculty members must be evaluated by a PMYR in the seventh academic year following either the date of award of Tenure, the most recent promotion, or the most recent PMYR. The PMYR is conducted by the faculty member’s chair as follows (APP, Section 4.14):
- The chair requests the faculty member to submit a curriculum vitae and a PMYR statement that summarizes their activities during the previous seven years and describes their long term goals (5–7 years) for scholarship, education and service, including any resources required to accomplish these goals.
- The chair reviews the faculty member’s curriculum vitae, PMYR statement, and their APRs for the previous seven years, and provides a written evaluation of the faculty member’s past performance and proposed long term goals. This evaluation may include needs for professional development, new initiatives or changes in direction that will benefit the faculty member and UMMS and foster continued high levels of performance.
- The chair makes a decision to accept or revise the faculty member’s PMYR statement as follows:
- A decision to accept the PMYR statement is made when the chair determines that no changes in the faculty member’s proposed activities and goals are required.
- A decision to revise the PMYR statement is made when the chair determines that changes in the Faculty Member’s proposed activities and goals are required in order to promote their professional progress and continued high levels of performance.
- The chair’s evaluation and decision are provided to the faculty member, who may provide a response.
- If the chair decides to accept the PMYR statement, the chair forwards their evaluation and decision to the Dean and the Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs, and the review is concluded.
- If the chair decides that the PMYR statement requires revision, the chair must meet with the faculty member to discuss ways to optimize their contributions through a revised PMYR statement. The faculty member may present any supplemental documentation of their performance at this meeting. The intent of the revision is to support and encourage the faculty member's continued professional development and high levels of performance. It must not impinge on the faculty member's academic freedom. Following this meeting, the Faculty Member submits a revised PMYR statement to the chair.
- The chair reviews the revised PMYR statement and decides whether or not to accept the statement.
- If the chair decides to accept the revised PMYR statement, the chair forwards their evaluation and decision to the Dean and the Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs, and the review is concluded.
- If the chair decides not to accept the revised PMYR statement, they must state their reasons in writing, and further action must be taken as described (APP, Section 4.14.a).