The Office of Faculty Affairs (OFA) supports the academic affairs of faculty at UMMS, including oversight of academic appointments, promotion, tenure, and faculty reviews. OFA staff are available for individual consultation with faculty on career planning, promotion and tenure, and other concerns.
Appointments, Promotion & Tenure:
- Faculty Positions: information about tracks, ranks, and types of faculty appointments.
- Academic Evaluation: definition of Areas of Distinction, Scholarship, Educational Activities, and Academic Service.
- Basic File: all materials relevant to the evaluation of a candidate for appointment or promotion.
- Eligibility & Criteria: information about the eligibility and criteria for faculty ranks by track.
- Appointment: the procedure for appointment to the UMMS faculty.
- Promotions: the procedure for promotion in academic rank.
- Tenure: policies for faculty appointed in the tenure track and the procedure for the award of tenure.
- Emeritus honorific title that may be conferred on distinguished faculty on retirement.
Review & Evaluation:
- Annual Performance Review: review of faculty performance conducted annually.
- Mini-Tenure Review: formative review of tenure track faculty during the fourth year of the probationary period.
- Post-Tenure Review: Periodic Multi-Year Review (PMYR) of tenured faculty conducted every seven years.