Guidelines for Part Time Faculty Effort at UMMS/UMMMG
Flexible work options are important tools to respond to changing demographics, related life demands, and career aspirations that are redefining the traditional model of an academic career. The availability of part time effort is one mechanism to respond to these changes.
UMMS and UMMMG have adopted common guidelines for part time faculty effort as of November 1, 2013. They provide a framework for clear and transparent considerations to be used by both a faculty member and their Chair (or Program Director) in the discussion and subsequent decision about proposed reduction from full time to part time effort. They also clarify the process for decision making and monitoring.
Download the Guidelines for Part Time Faculty Employment at UMMS/UMMMG here.
To whom do these guidelines apply?
All faculty employed by UMMS, UMMMG, or both, who wish to reduce their present effort.
The guidelines do NOT apply to faculty who:
1. Were hired at less than full time effort
2. Are being hired at less than full time effort
3. Have already reduced their effort from full time prior to November 1, 2013.
How do I use these guidelines as a faculty member?
As a faculty member, reviewing these guidelines before a discussion with your Chair (or Program Director) will give you an opportunity to consider how a reduction in effort may affect your work as well as how it will affect your team, Division, and/or Department. It may help you develop options or identify potential concerns prior to a conversation about reduction in effort with your Chair or Division director.
How do I use these guidelines as a Chair (or Program Director)?
As a Chair (or Program Director), these guidelines provide a framework to aid the consideration and discussion of the balance between the need of the faculty member with the needs of their Division, Program, Department or group. It is important to share the guidelines with faculty members to assist their thinking about a broad range of considerations, identifying both those elements that may impact their career path and work as well as impact the team, Division and/or Department.
What considerations are included in discussing a reduction in effort?
1. Ability of the faculty member to meet mission expectations
2. Departmental/ Organizational Financial Circumstances can accommodate the request
3. Clinical Responsibilities: the needs of the division/ department for coverage of clinical responsibilities can be fulfilled
4. Research Responsibilities: the research responsibilities of the individual or the position are adequately covered
5. Administrative and Service Responsibilities: the administrative and service responsibilities of the individual or the position are adequately covered
6. Teaching Responsibilities: the teaching responsibilities of the individual or the position are adequately covered
7. Length of time for proposed reduction in effort and its impact on all elements listed above.
What is the process for review and approval?
1. Faculty member submits a written request to Department Chair (or Program Director) describing the proposed reduction in effort and allocation of effort across academic, administrative, and clinical (with coverage needs if applicable)
2. Faculty member and Department Chair meet to review request, options, and considerations pertinent to moving to part-time status
3. The Chair sends the proposed resolution of the request and a copy of the allocation of effort for part-time status to the Medical Group Administration and/or Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs (VPFA) for consultation and tracking purposes
4. The Chair’s decision, after considering review and input from the Medical Group Administration and/or Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs, is final and no further review is necessary.