J-1 Immigration Packet
The sponsoring UMMS department should forward the completed J-1 immigration packet to Immigration Services at least 45 - 60 days prior to the desired arrival date. Please note the following:
- All requested items must be submitted in completion. Incomplete forms or missing documentation may cause delays in issuance of the Form DS-2019.
- Please verify that all prospective Exchange Visitor names be written exactly as they appear in the exchange visitors' passport.
- While we require the forms to be signed, we do accept scanned pdf copies of the original packets via e-mail with the exclusion of the PI Invitation Letter.
J-1 Immigration Packet Contents
Family Data Sheet
(if applicable): Request for document for spouse and/or children under 21.
J-1 Transfer-in Form
(if applicable): Only required for individuals who are already in the U.S. in J-1 status at another institution.
(if applicable): Must be included in immigration packets for individuals holding a medical degree (M.D. or equivalent).
- PI Invitation Letter (Original with signature needed - not pdf copy)
- UMMS Offer Letter (if UMMS funded)
Verification of non-UMMS funding (if applicable)
Biographical information pages from passprot (listing name & birth date for prospective J-1 (and dependents if applicable)
Copies of current and/or previous visa documents (if prospective is currently in the United States or has been in the country during the past six years in any status other than tourist)