Please note: The application period for Spring 2017 electives has closed. If you are interested in applying for an elective, please look back on our website in December for more information about the application process for Fall 2017.
The University of Massachusetts Medical School (UMMS) welcomes students who are in good academic standing and are in their final clinical year of medical school education to participate in our International Visiting Student Elective program. We offer a variety of electives at UMMS teaching sites. Electives for visiting students are available on a competitive basis from September to April each academic year. The blocks in which we offer electives to international students are as follows:
|08/22/2016 – 09/16/2016
||01/02/2017 – 01/27/2017
|09/19/2016 – 10/14/2016
||01/30/2017 – 02/24/2017
|10/17/2016 – 11/11/2016
||02/27/2017 – 03/24/2017
|11/14/2016 – 12/09/2016
||04/03/2017 – 04/28/2017
- Students must be in their final clinical year of medical school.
- Students must meet all the elective prerequisites.
- Students must be fluent in English. (See TOEFL requirement on checklist - we do NOT allow TOEFL waivers) All application materials must be submitted in English.
- International students are eligible to participate in type B and C electives only. See the online published list of electives for details. Elective availability is subject to change without notice.
- There is a non-refundable $100 application fee. Applicants offered an elective are required to pay an additional $500 administrative fee for each accepted elective.
- Malpractice/Liability Insurance minimums are $1 million per occurrence / $3 million aggregate. If you need to purchase Malpractice insurance from the university, you can do so if you are selected for an elective. You will make out a $50 check to UMass Memorial Healthcare and submit that alongside the Malpractice Insurance Application.
- Complete the entire International Students Application packet including the application and all other required documentation (Please see the International elective guidelines for details).
- Mail the completed application along with a $100 non-refundable application fee to the address listed at the bottom of the international elective guidelines form. (Student selected by the International committee will be required to pay an additional $500 administrative fee for each accepted elective.) Applications that are missing information will not be processed.
- Applicants will be notified after June 10th (fall semester) and November 1st (spring semester) if their application will be considered for an elective.
Please Note: Changes to an International visiting student's elective schedule are not allowed once the student has arrived in the United States.