Advanced Studies Electives: International Students
We will not be accepting applications for Fall 2017.
Please check back after July 1, 2017, for the status on applications for Spring 2018.
We will not be accepting emails or phone calls regarding international visiting student electives at this time.
The University of Massachusetts Medical School (UMMS) welcomes students who are in good academic standing and are in their final clinical year of medical school education to participate in our International Visiting Student Elective program. We offer a variety of electives at UMMS teaching sites. Electives for visiting students are available on a competitive basis each academic year.
- Students must be in their final clinical year of medical school.
- Students must meet all the elective prerequisites.
- Students must be fluent in English. (See TOEFL requirement on checklist - we do NOT allow TOEFL waivers) All application materials must be submitted in English.
- International students are eligible to participate in type B and C electives only. See the online published list of electives for details. Elective availability is subject to change without notice.
- There is a non-refundable $100 application fee. Applicants offered an elective are required to pay an additional $500 administrative fee for the accepted elective.
- Malpractice/Liability Insurance minimums are $1 million per occurrence / $3 million aggregate. If you need to purchase Malpractice insurance from the university, you can do so if you are selected for an elective. You will make out a $50 check to UMass Memorial Healthcare and submit that alongside the Malpractice Insurance Application.
- Complete the entire International Students Application packet including the application and all other required documentation (Please see the International elective guidelines for details).
- Mail the completed application along with a $100 non-refundable application fee to the address listed at the bottom of the international elective guidelines form. (Student selected by the International committee will be required to pay an additional $500 administrative fee for an elective if you are accepted.) Applications that are missing information will not be processed.
- Applicants will be notified by email if their application will be considered for an elective.
Please Note: Changes to an International visiting student's elective schedule are not allowed once the student has arrived in the United States.