UMass Medical School "Goes Green" for Commencement
Steps that University of Massachusetts Medical School is taking to a “green” commencement:
Paper waste reduction
- A PDF of the Commencement Program will be available online for guests, therefore reducing printing costs and paper waste.
- Commencement programs that are printed are done so using the most environmentally friendly materials that our printing company is able to provide.
Recycling- The Office of Sustainability and Energy
- Distribution of paper recycling bins for unwanted commencement programs accompanied with signs reading, “Commencement Program Disposal.”
- Plastic recycling bins will also be available surrounding the Commencement tent for water bottles.
- Water stations (with recyclable cups) will be available for the general seating surrounding the Commencement tent. Plastic water bottles will be limited to graduates and stage seating.
- Caterers will cut back on paper and plastic utensils. Any paper used will be recycled.
- A waste dumpster will be reserved exclusively for Commencement Day, so that all recycling efforts may be measured. Results will then be advertised post event day.
- Students may send invitations and RSVP online, as well as receive most announcements via email and social media
- Programs will have an eco-friendly logo printed within, indicating the recycled paper used for programs.
Steps visitors & graduates can take to a “green” commencement:
- Recycle unwanted Commencement programs and other paper/plastic waste at the ceremony.
- Opt for the online PDF version versus taking a physical program.
- Carpool to the ceremony with family, friends, or fellow graduates