Campus Alert: Find the latest UMMS campus news and resources at

Search Close Search
Search Close Search
Page Menu


Education and Training: Fellowship Programs

Trainees in the PHARE Study Group are typically funded by NIH training grants. There are three training grant opportunities at UMass Medical School relevant to the PHARE Study Group.

NIH TL1 Clinical and Translational Science Training Grant

NHLBI T32 in Cardiovascular Clinical and Translational Science 

The T32 program provides a cardiovascular training infrastructure for individuals who will be both independent investigators and team scientists. Each trainee has the access to expertise from the basic, clinical/translational, public health, and implementation science arenas, and mentors from the T0/T1 and T2+ ends of the spectrum to provide a unique perspective on both the importance and the application of research results. This Program includes collaboration with highly successful scientists, independent research experiences, and novel academic programs. This program represents an interdepartmental joint effort co-directed by John F. Keaney, Jr., MD, Chief of Cardiovascular Medicine in the Department of Medicine at UMMS and Catarina Kiefe, MD, PhD, Chair of the UMMS Department of Quantitative Health Sciences. These co- Directors are leaders in T0/T1 and T2+ translational research, respectively.

NCI Implementation Science Post-doctoral Training Grant:

Eligibility for NIH funded training grants:
Applicants must show evidence of high academic performance in the sciences and commitment to a career as an independent researcher. Pre-doctoral candidates must first be accepted into a UMass doctoral program. Postdoctoral candidates must have received a PhD, MD, DO, DC, DDS, DVM, OD, DPM, ScD, DrPH, DNSc, PharmD, PsyD, or equivalent doctoral degree from an accredited domestic or foreign institution. By the time of the award, the individual must be a citizen or a non-citizen national of the United States or have been lawfully admitted for permanent residence (i.e., possess a currently valid Permanent Resident Card USCIS Form I-551, or other legal verification of such status).