Please check this page periodically for information about the latest news, and upcoming events, courses or other information relevant to the UMMS international community.
Executive Orders Impacting Immigration:
Executive Orders impacting immigration were issued by the President of the United States on January 25th and 27th 2017. The Immigration Services Office (ISO) will be sending out information through our distribution lists as additional information is made available. Please contact the ISO with any specific questions.
Below are the latest communications about the Executive Order impacting Immigration:
- 2.10.2017 Executive Order Update
- 2.7.2017 Letter from Chancellor Michael F. Collins, MD
- 2.6.2017 Chancellor Collins article in STAT
- 2.6.2017 Letter from UMass Medical School Immigration Department
- 2.4.2017 Letter from Chancellor Michael F. Collins, MD
- 1.27.2017 Executive Order by President Donald Trump
Other Immigration Resources per the Executive Order:
- Information on how the Customs and Border Protection Agency is interpreting and implementing the order can be found on their website: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/66/kw/executive%20order
- Another excellent resource regarding this event can be found at NAFSA: Association of International Educators: http://www.NAFSA.org
- Additional Legal Resources for Immigration: http://www.umassmed.edu/globalassets/human-resources/documents/immigration/umms-immigration-resources.pdf
- American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) - Know Your Rights: https://www.aclu.org/know-your-rights
STEM OPT Ruling
IMMIGRATION LAW INFORMATION & DISCUSSION
Due to expected weather on Thursday, February 9th, this session has been rescheduled for the following date & time:
Date: Tuesday, February 14, 2017
Location: Medical School, Amphitheater I (S2-102)
The Immigration Services Office and the UMass General Counsel's Office is hosting attorney Megan Kludt of Curan & Berger Immigration Law. Attorney Kludt will provide an overview of the current immigration laws, regulations and policies and discuss current and potential changes under the Trump administration, including Executive Orders. The discussion will also cover recent changes to immigration law and policy in the final months of the Obama Administration, especially as they pertain to entrepreneurs, researchers, H-1B employees, and international students.
This is a general information event. Specific or individual cases will not be addressed at this meeting.
This event is open to the entire UMMS community. No RSVP required.
OPTIONAL PRACTICAL TRAINING (OPT)
These workshops are designed for GSBS Students on the F-1 visa. If you are within the final year of your GSBS program, and are considering working in the U.S. following graduation, this workshop is for you! We encourage participants to review the OPT Website prior to attending the workshop. Below is a list of the scheduled OPT workshops for 2017. All workshops are located in the Michelson Room of the Lazar Research Building (LRB)
- TO BE SCHEDULED...
For information about events outside of the UMMS Community