Welcome to UMass Medical School Institutional Review Board
If you plan to conduct research involving human subjects, the research study must be reviewed and approved by the UMass Institutional Review Board before the study begins. Constituted as the Committee for the Protection of Human Subjects in Research, the UMass IRB serves as IRB of record for all human research conducted by UMass faculty and investigators at the Medical School or at associated research locations, including the campuses of UMass Memorial Medical Center and the member hospitals of UMass Memorial Health Care.
Detailed instructions on how to submit a research study to the IRB can be found in the Investigator’s Manual. Additional help is always available at the IRB Office at 508-856-4261 or email: IRB@umassmed.edu. We look forward to assisting you!
Visiting the IRB in-person?
Use the back elevators (past Conquering Diseases on the left and passing through the double set of doors at the end of the long hallway)
to reach the 7th floor of the ACC. Badge access is required.
The 7th floor VA clinic has opened, and the IRB is no longer readily accessible from the main ACC elevators.
Click here to see the presentation slides on "HIPAA and Research"
News and Announcements
- 4/14/2017: Closed for Patriots' Day 4/17/2017
- 3/21/2017: Important UMMS IRB Updates
- 3/9/2017: eIRB Server unavailable Thursday 3/23
- 2/16/2017: Closed for Presidents' Day 2/20/17
- 1/31/2017: 72 hour time out on Non-Committee Review Clarifications
- 1/18/2017: Message from OHRP on the revisions to the Federal Policy for the Protection of Human Subjects
- 1/13/2017: Important UMMS IRB Updates
- 1/12/2017: HHS Final Rule and NIH Policy on Clinical Trials Reporting
- 1/12/2017: Closed for Martin Luther King Jr. Day 1/16/17
- 1/5/2017: eIRB Server unavailable 1/5/17 from 6pm to midnight