Massachusetts Medical Society Committee on Global Health
The Massachusetts Medical Society (MMS) has several committees, including a Committee on Global Health. Medical students from Massachusetts, including medical students from UMMS have the opportunity to participate in this state-wide committee on global health.
You can view the Committee's website here: http://www.massmed.org/Governance-and-Leadership/Committees,-Task-Forces-and-Sections/Committee-on-Global-Health/#.VC3okxb_vKc
Opportunities for UMMS medical students in the MMS’ Committee on Global Health
- Each year there are two seats available for medical students to serve on the Committee. The two seats (ie, one committee member and one alternate) are available to medical students from any one of the four Massachusetts medical schools. The two seats can be (but do not have to be) filled by students from the same school.
- Applications are typically released in February or March, with decisions made in May.
- Approximate time commitment: Committee meeting are held approximately one evening a month during the academic year, and once over the summer if you can attend. The meetings are usually from 6:30-8:30pm on a Tuesday or Wednesday evening at MMS headquarters at 860 Winter Street in Waltham, MA.
- Activities of the Committee meetings include:
- helping to organize the MMS annual global health student conference
- presentations on global health initiatives or issues
- voting on issues relevant to global health and the MMS
- In the past, UMMS medical students have acted as members on the Committee on Global Health. This has included the following students.
- Prachi Godiwala (Class of 2015): served on the committee in 2013-2014 and 2014-2015 (during her 3rd and 4th year of medical school)
- Jennifer Fantasia (Class of 2015): served on the committee in 2014-2015 (during her 5th year of medical school)
- Marguerite Youngren (Class of 2017): served on the committee in 2014-2015 (during her 2nd year of medical school)