Joy McCann Professorship Award: 2017 Call for Nominations is Open
Nominations for the 2017 Joy McCann Professorship are being solicited from UMASS/UMMHC chairs, faculty, medical students, and residents.
Purpose of Joy McCann Professorship
In 2004 the University of Massachusetts Medical School received an endowment from the Joy McCann Foundation to establish a Joy McCann Professorship for Women in Medicine. The purpose of the Professorship is to identify and reward female faculty who have demonstrated leadership in medical education, mentoring, research, patient care and community service. The explicit intent of the Joy McCann Foundation is that the stipend be used to encourage, inspire, and reward the recipient to promote the advancement of women.
Funds provided by the Professorship might be used to provide partial salary support to the awardee; to support participation in a leadership development program such as ELAM; to sponsor external speakers/workshops on campus; to co-sponsor events with the Women’s Faculty Committee; or to sponsor/support other programs that recognize and support female faculty.
2005: Dr. Linda Weinreb, Professor, Vice Chair, Family Medicine and Community Health
2008: Dr. Patricia Franklin, Professor, Department of Orthopedics and Physical Rehabilitation
2011: Dr. Julia Andrieni, Associate Professor, Medicine
2014: Dr. Tiffany Moore Simas, Associate Professor, Obstetrics & Gynecology & Pediatrics
Term and Salary Stipend
The new recipient’s term will start July 1, 2017 and the professorship will be held for three years as outlined in the guidelines. The award is accompanied by a salary stipend of approximately $25,000 per year. The stipend can be used as salary support or for other purposes, such as initiating or sponsoring a special project.
Criteria for the Joy McCann Professorship Award
- Female faculty with at least five-years’ service at UMass Medical School or the UMass Memorial Health Care System;
- An effective mentor, advisor or role model for faculty, medical students or residents in teaching, research or clinical care;
- Demonstrated leadership at the local, regional/community, or national level;
- A clear and strong vision of how the Joy McCann Professorship will allow the nominee to promote the success of women medical students, residents, and faculty at UMMS.
Nominations are due no later than April 21, 2017. Letters of nomination should be submitted electronically to the Office of Faculty Affairs, Faculty.Affairs@umassmed.edu.
Please submit nomination packages electronically to the Office of Faculty Affairs at email@example.com by April 21, 2017. Packages must include:
- two letters of recommendation (one-page each) describing the nominee’s teaching, service, clinical care, mentoring and leadership skills that warrant consideration for this award. One of the letters must be from the nominee’s Department Chair or Program Director;
- statement from nominee of their vision for the professorship (1-2 pages); and
- nominee’s current CV.
- The Nominating Committee will review the submitted materials and identify 2-3 finalists for personal interview.
- Selected finalists will be individually interviewed by the Nominating Committee. Important components of the interview will include discussion of the candidate’s leadership and mentoring successes and assessment of each candidate’s vision for the Professorship.
- The Nominating Committee will submit a final slate to the Provost.
The Provost will determine the Joy McCann Professor, based on the recommendations of the Nominating Committee. The Joy McCann Professorship will be awarded for a three-year term with the option to reapply for a second, three-year term.
In addition to promoting the success of women faculty, residents and medical students, during her three-year tenure, the Joy McCann Professor will be expected to:
- Become an active member of the Women’s Faculty Committee
- Report annually on progress to the Women’s Faculty Committee
- Report annually on progress to the Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs
- Report annually on progress to the Joy McCann Professorship Program
- Report annually all activities and expenditures to the Office of Affairs
Faculty Affairs Contact Information
- Email: Faculty.Affairs@umassmed.edu