Are You Ready for Promotion?
The Office of Faculty Affairs recommends three steps to determine if you are ready for promotion:
Take Stock of Your Position
What is your current position?
Track? Tenure track or Non-Tenure track
Pathway? Unmodified ("traditional"), Clinical or Research
What are the expectations for you?
- Review your letter of appointment
- Review any subsequent evaluations (annual performance review, mini-tenure review
Update your basic promotion file
- curriculum vitae (see here for more information)
- teaching evaluations (see here for more information)
From individuals who are familiar with the process and the criteria for promotion:
- Senior Faculty Mentor (e.g., Academic Vice Chair)
- Office of Faculty Affairs faculty and staff
Question: “Do I meet the criteria for promotion? If not, what’s missing?”
If you’re not ready for promotion . . .
Do you need to?
- set a timeline for scholarship
- expand & enhance visibility (develop a local, regional or national reputation)
— internal presentations (Grand Rounds etc)
— national presentations
— national committee service
- enhance your teaching abilities and/or request additional teaching
- participate in faculty development workshops & seminars
- gain communication skills: practice “graceful self-promotion”
- enhance your writing skills
- obtain mentoring