Please check this page periodically for information about the latest news, and upcoming events, courses or other information relevant to the UMMS international community.
Executive Orders Impacting Immigration:
Executive Orders impacting immigration were issued by the President of the United States on January 25th and 27th 2017. A revised Executive Order was signed by the President on March 6, 2017 however, certain portions of it were halted by a preliminary injunction on March 29, 2017. The Immigration Services Office (ISO) will continue to send information through our distribution lists as additional information is made available. Please contact the ISO with any specific questions.
Below are the latest communications about the Executive Order impacting Immigration:
- 4.3.2017 UMMS-ISO Current Travel and Visa Guidance
- 3.23.2017 Tougher Screening of Visa Applicants - The New York Times
- 3.22.2017 Department of State Announcement Regarding Executive order on Visas
- 3.21.2017 New Electronic Device Restrictions on Certain U.S. Bound Flights
- 3.7.2017 Campus Update on Executive Order
- 3.6.2017 Revised Executive Order by President Donald Trump
- 3.6.2017 Q&A on Revised Executive Order
- 2.10.2017 Executive Order Update
- 2.7.2017 Letter from Chancellor Michael F. Collins, MD
- 2.6.2017 Chancellor Collins article in STAT
- 2.6.2017 Letter from UMass Medical School Immigration Department
- 2.4.2017 Letter from Chancellor Michael F. Collins, MD
- 1.27.2017 Executive Order by President Donald Trump
Guidance for Foreign Nationals while in the United States
- Reminder of your immigration obligations - carrying documents with you
- Resources on Your Rights in Encounters with Law Enforcement
- Know Your Rights: What To Do if Stopped by Police, Immigration Agents, or the FBI
- Know Your Rights: What To Do When Encountering Law Enforcement at Airports and Other Ports of Entry
- Border Agent Search of Electronic Devices
- Information on how the Customs and Border Protection Agency is interpreting and implementing the order can be found on their website.
- Another excellent resource regarding this event can be found at NAFSA: Association of International Educators
- Additional Legal Resources for Immigration
- American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) - Know Your Rights
- 9.20.2017 USCIS Updates Regarding DACA
- 9.19.2017 Reminder: Deadline for DACA Renewals is October 5th.
- 9.18.2017 DACA news from AILA (American Immigration Lawyer's Association)
- Mission Asset Fund (MAF) will provide $1,000,000 in scholarships to 2,000+ Dreamers to pay for DACA renewals by the October 5th deadline. Between now and the October 5th deadline, MAF will provide 2,000 Dreamers with scholarships of $495 to renew their DACA permit. Capital to finance these scholarships come from the DACA Renewal Fund, launched last week with growing support from the philanthropic community. Form more information, please visit: https://missionassetfund.org/daca-renewal-scholarships.
- AILA New England and the City of Boston are putting together an immigration clinic that will focus on DACA-related issues. The clinic will take place on Wednesday, September 20th between 12 and 2:30pm, at the Mayor's Office for Immigrant advancement (City Hall, Room 806). There will be AILA Attorneys on site to provide advice regarding DACA renewals and other DACA-related issues. Many thanks to our hard-working Pro Bono Project Committee for setting it up! For information on other clinics and pro bono events related to DACA, please visit: https://www.masslegalservices.org/daca-community-workshops/calendar.
- 9.5.2017 UMass Leadership Statement on Administration's Decision on DACA Program
STEM OPT Ruling
Upcoming Workshops & Events:
The Immigration Services Office presents our summer travel seminar. The summer season is a popular time to travel home to visit with family and friends. This travel seminar is recommended for foreign nationals who are planning international travel in the coming months. We will review travel recommendations, required documentation and visa renewal procedures including recent trends in administrative processing. There will be time for individual case-specific Q&A immediately following the presentation. No RSVP is required.
We look forward to seeing you and please bring your questions!
Date: Thursday, May 11th, 2017
Time: 12:00PM - 1:00PM
Location: Lazare Auditorium, S1-607
OPTIONAL PRACTICAL TRAINING (OPT)
These workshops are designed for GSBS Students on the F-1 visa. If you are within the final year of your GSBS program, and are considering working in the U.S. following graduation, this workshop is for you! We encourage participants to review the OPT Website prior to attending the workshop. Below is a list of the scheduled OPT workshops for 2017. All workshops are located in the Michelson Room of the Lazar Research Building (LRB)
- March 31, 2017 3:00pm
For Information About Events Outside of the UMMS Community