Page Menu

H-1B Visa Limited Circumstances:

  • UMass may transfer an existing H-1B visa from another clinical residency or fellowship program if there is sufficient time left to complete the UMMS training program to which the resident has applied. This does NOT include applicants currently holding an H1B visa for research or other non-clinical employment.
  • UMass will sponsor an H1B visa following an F1 OPT year for international citizens who attended a U.S. MEDICAL SCHOOL (not PhD or other graduate program) on an F1 visa.
  • UMass supports an initial H-1B clinical visa for residency or fellowship in very limited and rare circumstances; the applicant file must be requested to be reviewed by the program director,  to be reviewed by both Graduate Medical Education, the International Students & Scholars Office, and receive approval by the GME Visa Committee in order to be eligible.

In order to be considered for an H1, the applicant MUST meet the following requirements:
Be eligible for Massachusetts License

  • Have PASSED USMLE Steps 1, 2 AND 3.
  • Have sufficient time remaining on a current H-visa to complete their training
  • Have previous US clinical experience. Recent clinical experience (within the past 12 months) in another country may be considered in lieu of US experience.

For More Information on Visas and International Students and Scholars,  contact the ISSO :  ISSO 

Additional Resources
click to open search panel