Mindfulness @ UMass Memorial Health Care and Medical School
At our Academic Health Sciences Center of UMass Memorial Health Care and UMass Medical School, wellness is a core value. A number of resources have been made available to promote wellness across the clinical system and medical school. One of our most important and accessible resources is the practice of mindfulness. Studies, particularly those conducted by our renowned Center for Mindfulness, have shown that practicing mindfulness can engender a variety of physical, psychological and social benefits.
The Diversity and Inclusion Office and UMass Memorial Health Care (including Employee Health, Human Resources, and UMass Memorial Medical Group), have partnered with the Medical School’s Center of Mindfulness and Department of Psychiatry to provide a number of programs and resources that promote the practice of mindfulness as a strategy for managing stress, achieving peak performance, and reaching professional and personal fulfillment. Follow the links below to learn more.
New to mindfulness? Try an introductory session to gain awareness of the benefits of incorporating mindfulness into a regular practice for wellness and well-being. More here.
Mindfulness learning opportunities will deepen your understanding of the benefits of mindfulness and introduce you to ways of developing a mindfulness practice. These programs are offered in face to face formats or through online resources that allow you to learn anytime at your own pace. More here.
Explore how to improve your health and well-being through mindfulness meditation practice. These regular practice sessions are open to patients, medical and mental health professionals, employees, and staff. Cultivate and integrate a culture of mindfulness and improve patient health care, the clinician-patient relationship, and employee well-being.
Mindfulness Meditation Practice Opportunities are available at the following location:
“All Campus” virtual session Mondays at 12:10PM
Join by Video Conference: https://zoom.us/j/282353218
Webinar ID: 282-353-218
Join by Telephone: Dial: 408-638-0968 (US Toll) or 646-558-8656
(US Toll) Meeting ID: 282-353-218
- Mondays, 8-8:30am
- Wednesdays, 12:15 – 12:45pm
Ann Nemitz Conference Room Guided by: Christine Runyan, MD
Tuesdays, 7:30 – 8:00 am Memorial 1 Conference Room Guided by: Valerie Wedge, LICSW, CEAP
- UMass Memorial Med Center - 7 East Wednesdays, 1:15 – 1:45 pm 7-East, Room H7-379 Guided by: Valerie Wedge, LICSW, CEAP
- University Campus - ACC Bldg. Self-Guided - The Remillard Mediation Room, 6th Floor ACC Building
- Lake Side 2 (ICU)-University Campus Thursdays, 9:30 – 10:00 am Guided by: Tom Hopkins
Worcester Recovery Center and Hospital (WRCH)
As requested Guided by: Boris Lorberg, MD
Community Health Link
- Wednesday’s 12:30 – 12: 40pm HOAP Clinic 2nd floor Group Room Guided by: Joyce Landers, MS, ANP-BC
- Fridays 12;30 – 12:50pm 72 Jaques Ave. Small Conf. Room Guided by: Madhusmita Dhakal, MD
UMass Memorial, Worcester Business Center
As Requested Guided by: Alek Shapiro
UMMS - South Street campus
Tuesdays 12:15-12:45pm Guided by: Barbara Donato
Center for Mindfulness
- Mondays 7:00-8:00 PM (includes discussion)
- Wednesdays 7:30 - 8:30 AM (silent meditation)
Hoagland-Pincus Building - 222 Maple Avenue, Shrewsbury, MA
We recommend using The Remillard Meditation room on the 6th floor of the ACC building for self guided sessions at any time.
If you have completed Mindfulness Champion training or have mindfulness meditation experience and would like to hold a practice at your work location, please contact The Center for Mindfulness
- Watch for emails from Diversity & Inclusion Office
- Watch for listings in UpNext! News & Views, UMass Med Now and *OurNet (*requires employee login)
- Bookmark this address! www.umassmed.edu/DIO/Mindfulness
- Do you know about other opportunities at UMass? Let us know! firstname.lastname@example.org
Boston Globe has a nice article about Mindfulness exercises reducing stress!
Informative Mindfulness Videos:
What is Mindfulness: https://youtu.be/Mvu7NfR7Uuw
How Mindfulness Can Help - Change and Transitions: https://youtu.be/AWXaSyHm-OM
The Role of Mindfulness in Stressful Situations: https://youtu.be/tdTWXnlqUjI
How Mindfulness Can Help with Craving and Addiction: https://youtu.be/Rg4O8dDfLuo
We have Independent Practice Meditation Cards! If you would like some send a request with subject of "independent meditation desk cards" to this email email@example.com