Requirements of the MD Degree
Requirements for the MD Degree*
For graduation with the MD degree, students must fulfill the requirement in the current Student Handbook (listed below). Because these requirements can change, all students, particularly those returning from a leave of absence or the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, should be sure they have reviewed this current information. Students may consult with the Associate Dean for Student Affairs with any questions pertaining to these requirements. EPC rev. 010615
1. For entering classes up through 2009 successful completion of required pre-clerkship courses.
2. For entering classes 2010 and later: successful completion of required FOM1 and FOM2 courses.
3. Successful completion of Core Clinical Experiences (CCE).
4. Successful completion of all required Interstitials/ Program Sessions.
5. Required Subinternship (*Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, Pediatrics, Acute Care Surgery or other subinternship approved by the Educational Policy Committee (EPC) as the required subinternship.)
6. Required Electives *24 weeks of elective credit (*see 4th yr. grad. table below)
Required Electives by Type:
-12 weeks must be Type A or B and at least 8 weeks must be A or B1.
-The remaining 12 weeks can be A, B or C electives.
-8 weeks maximum of clinical International electives can count toward graduation credit.
-12 weeks maximum of Type C electives can count toward graduation credit.
Required Electives by Length:
-Up to 8 weeks can be taken in blocks of two weeks or greater.
-The remaining required electives must be in blocks of at least 4 weeks.
7. USMLE Requirements: For graduating classes 2015 or later: Successful passage of Steps 1 and 2 (Clinical Skills and Clinical Knowledge) of the U.S. Medical Licensing Examinations.
8. All students must fulfill “competency” performance standards on a Comprehensive Clinical Skills Assessment as a graduation requirement for UMMS (See: Comprehensive Core Clinical Assessment/CCCA policy).
9. Demonstration of the ability to perform the skills in the Medical School’s Technical Standards with or without reasonable accommodations consistent with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Failure to meet these minimum standards may be grounds for possible course/clerkship failure, dismissal from the medical school, or immediate corrective action up to and including removal from the clinical or education setting. Students are judged not only on their scholastic achievement and ability, but also on their intellectual, physical and emotional capacities to meet the full requirements for graduation
10. Certification in Advanced Cardiac Life Support.
11. Completion of Certification for Graduation with the Office of the Registrar and any additional administrative requirements such as payment of all fines including library and parking, returning all books, returning beeper, payment of any outstanding bills, required exit interviews, institutional surveys, etc.
12. Successful completion of all required Transition Courses.
13. Completion of program evaluations developed by UMMS, such as the summative End of Year 1, 2, 3 & 4 surveys. Other surveys developed by organizations outside UMMS may also be required, as determined by UMMS.
14. School policy requires a student take a minimum of eight (8) semesters of enrollment and allows for a maximum of twelve (12) semesters of enrollment and 4 semesters of leave for completion of the MD Degree See: Number of Years to Complete the MD Degree Policy.
15. Successful completion of all required Flexible Clinical Experiences.
16. For the classes entering in 2012 and later: Successful completion of the Capstone Scholarship and Discovery course and project.
17. For students in the class of 2014 or later: Successful completion of the Emergency Clinical Problem Solver course.
18. Beginning with the Class of 2014: *Advanced Biomedical and Translational Sciences (ABTS) (*optional for MD/PhD students)
Fourth Year Graduation Requirements Table