Advanced Studies Electives: International Students
The University of Massachusetts Medical School (UMMS) welcomes students who are in good academic standing and have completed their final year of undergraduate medical training to participate in our International Visiting Student Elective program. We offer a variety of electives at the UMass Memorial Medical Center training sites. Electives for visiting students are available on a competitive basis from September to April of each academic year. Applicants must be enrolled in an institution which has an established exchange program with UMMS.
The following list represents electives that are available to our International visiting students. Please be sure to review the elective course description for course prerequisites and other important information. You can click on a course name to access additional department level information. For a printer-friendly version, click here. This list is subject to change.
- Eligibility is available to those students whose school has an established exchange program with UMMS.
- Students must be in their final clinical year of medical school.
- Students must meet all the elective prerequisites.
- Students must be fluent in English.
- International students are eligible to participate in type B and C electives only (see elective list for details).
- There is a $500 charge for each elective; there is a non-refundable $50 application fee. UMMS will credit $50 towards the first accepted elective; additional electives are $500 each.
| Fall Semester (Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec)|| AY 14-15|
| Application Deadline || April 1|
| Final Decision post-marked by|| June 1|
| Spring Semester (Jan, Feb, March, April)|| AY 14-15|
| Application Deadline|| August 1|
| Final Decision post-marked by|| October 1|
Please contact the UMass International Education program or the dean (or designee) of your medical school to determine if there is an existing exchange agreement with UMMS.
Complete the entire International Students Application packet which includes, the application form, the UMass immunization forms, medical records, One letter of good standing from the Dean (designee) or Registrar of your institution; One letter of recommendation and proof of health and liability insurance—please see the “International Student Elective Guidelines
” for a complete list of requirements.
Mail the completed application and $50 non-refundable application fee to UMMS. Your application will not be processed if it is missing any item.
You will be notified after June 1st (fall semester) and October 1st (spring semester) if your application for an elective will be considered for an elective.