- Attend UMMMC hospital, ground ambulance orientation and safety seminars and briefings.
- Attend weekly EM Resident Conference.
- Attend all aspects of the EMS clinical rotation to include command shifts, ambulance shifts, Emergency Medical Dispatch shifts and medical director clinical shifts.
- Complete an evaluation of the Medical Student Clinical Elective in Emergency Medical Services.
- Understand EMS in the Central Massachusetts area.
- Obtain focused history and physical exams in the pre-hospital setting with undifferentiated illness or injury.
- Recognize seriously ill patients and how to treat immediate life threats.
- Interact with all levels and members of the pre-hospital health team.
- Understand the process of medical oversight and quality assurance in pre-hospital medicine.
- Didactic sessions in Emergency Medicine, Disaster Medicine and Emergency Medical Services.
- Supervised practice by attending paramedics, of pre-hospital patient assessments and basic life support skills to include but not limited to CPR, bandaging, splinting and spinal immobilization.
- Direct observation of paramedics and flight crews providing advanced life support skills in the pre-hospital setting to include but not limited to IV / IO insertion, defibrillation / cardioversion, ECG Interpretation, drug therapy and advanced airways.
- Active participation in EMS and quality assurance and meetings.
- Direct observation of EMS medical directors attending to patients in the emergency room and their interactions with pre-hospital providers.
- Active participation with UMass Medical School 4th year students in the EM Simulation Laboratory.
- Participation in the planning and EMS response to at a crowd medicine event.