The UMMS Radiation Safety office oversee all radioactive materials in the laboratories along with training, registering workers in the labs, ordering, monitoring, and maintaining required records, and collected waste.
- Radiation orientation class is required of all people wishing to use radioactive materials. Class is every Tuesdaypromptly at 9am (unless otherwise posted) in S9-700.
- All radioactive material orders must be submitted online. Online Orders
- Radioactive waste pickup requests can be done online. LRB pick is scheduled for Thursdays. Special requests can be made through the pickup request form. Waste Pickup
- All Principal Investigator's must be approved by the RSO office and the RSC before any radioactivity can be used in the lab. PI Package
- All potential Cesium-137 Irradiator users must be approved by HR to have unescorted access to either irradiator (A-level or LRB). Contact Allison Rapa for more information.
Irradiator User Information
- To reach the Radiation Safety Office: Take the clinical science elevators (near the credit union past the cafeteria in the hosp) to the 8th floor and follow the signs around to stairwell #9. Go up one flight and turn right at the top.
- For spills – follow the standard Radiation Safety training procedure. During working hours, call the RSO @ x63208 and guard/tape off the spill area until they arrive. After hours, call Operations @ x63292. Check cloths and shoes for contamination before walking around lab area!