The Office of Faculty Affairs (OFA) supports the academic affairs of faculty at UMMS, including oversight of academic appointments, promotion and tenure, faculty and department reviews, and governance and policy of the school. OFA staff are available for individual consultation with faculty on career planning, promotion and tenure, and other concerns.
The links to the left and below will guide you through the resources and information on these pages.
Appointments, Promotion & Tenure:
- Appointments: the process for appointment to the UMMS faculty; information about ranks & pathways.
- Promotion: a guide to the steps required to advance your career.
- Tenure: the process guiding tenure decisions.
- CV Guidelines: how to compose an effective Curriculum Vitae—essential for the promotion process at UMMS and to demonstrate your academic and professional accomplishments. Download a recommended CV template here.
- Sabbatical Leave: faculty are eligible for a sabbatical leave after six years of full-time service at UMMS.
- Status Changes: faculty may transfer between tracks and pathways; the Emeritus title may be conferred on distinguished faculty on retirement.
Review & Evaluation:
- Annual Faculty Reviews: faculty performance is evaluated annually.
- Department Reviews: departments and chairs are reviewed every 5–7 years to determine the well-being of individual departments, their strengths and challenges, and their efforts to promote the institutional mission and values.
Compensation & Benefits: Information for faculty.
Governance & Policies: The documents that define UMMS, its schools and procedures, including the Governance Document, and the Academic Personnel Policy, which governs the appointment, promotion and tenure of UMMS faculty.
Reports & Data: The OFA Annual Report and other information concerning UMMS faculty.
Forms, Templates & Guidelines: All forms and templates required for faculty matters.
Links: External resources relevant to Academic Affairs.