Revision of the Governance Document & Creation of School Bylaws
The University of Massachusetts Medical School has undergone a two-year review of the campus governance involving the Faculty Council, Executive Council, faculty-at-large and administration and has cuminated in the revison to the Governance Document. The University's Board of Trustees approved the revision to the Governance Document (Doc. T03-035) at their meeting September 18, 2013. In conjunction with the revision, each of the three schools shall revise or establish bylaws to set forth the operating procedures and administration of their respective school.
The School of Medicine (SOM) Bylaws have been created with input from SOM Faculty, governing bodies, standing committees, legal counsel, and administration. The final version is available for download (PDF).
The Board-approved Governance Document for the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences (Doc. T86-085) and Governance Document for the Graduate School of Nursing (Doc. T91-028 ) have become the bylaws for the respective schools. Both schools are presently undertaking review of their respective documents and are finalizing their recommended revision. The review of said revisions will follow the process outlined in Article II, Section A.1.a of the Governance Document on pages 6-7. Information will be made availabe on this webpage as it becomes available.
Click on the tabs below for information about the process for revision, overview of proposed changes and related resources.
|Process for Revision||Overview||Resources|
Presentations & Reports
- "Summary of Recommended Changes" presentation (April 2013) — download
- Governance Document Revision Talking Points (prepared for Faculty Council, 11/3/2011) — download
- See presentation by Drs. Thorndyke & Johnson at the Faculty Luncheon 9/23/2011 — download
- Interim Report of the Governance Task Force. In 2009 the Chancellor charged a task force to recommend changes to the UMMS Governance Document. These changes were not implemented. The task force report is provided as a record of previous discussions — download
Campus Specific Policies & Procedures
- Governance Document of the University of Massachusetts Medical School
(Doc. T03-035 as Approved by the Board of Trustees September 18, 2013)
- Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences Governance Document
(Doc. T86-085 as Approved by the Board of Trustees September 8, 1986)
- Graduate School of Nursing Governance Document (Doc. T91-028 as Approved by the Board of Trustees August 6, 2003)
- School of Medicine Bylaws (Approved October 8, 2013)
- Academic Personnel Policy of the University of Massachusetts Medical School (Doc. T95-022)
- University of Massachusetts Medical School Procedures for Governing Centers, Programs and Institutes
(Doc. T96-096, pgs. 20-22)
- Faculty Grievance Procedure of the University of Massachusetts Medical School (Doc. T88-038A)
- University of Massachusetts Medical School Student Government Alliance Constitution (Adopted 2011)
- University Massachusetts Worcester Intellectual Property Policy (Doc. T96-040)
- Amended and Restated Definitive Agreement, Section 4.3, Appointment and Activities of (Clinical) Department Chairs, Approved February 20, 2001