Being an Effective Mentee
Some tips on how to get the most out of your mentoring relationship.
- Schedule regular meetings; Come prepared!
- Set expectations for the mentoring relationship
- Be open to feedback and critique
- Respect the time and other commitments of the mentor—if a meeting gets cancelled YOU should be certain it gets rescheduled
- Use multiple forms of communication to keep information flowing
- Keep your commitment to action steps OR be prepared to discuss why you were unable to meet your commitment
Detsky, A et al. 2007. Academic Mentoring—How to Give It and How to Get It. JAMA; 297(19), 2134-6. PMID: 17507350
Zerzan, J et al. 2009. Making the Most of Mentors: A Guide for Mentees. Acad Med; 84(1), 140-4. PMID: 19116494