University policy requires that the administrative performance of department chairs of the University of Massachusetts Medical School be reviewed routinely at five-year intervals. The purpose of the review is to examine the performance of the Chair in bringing leadership and direction to the Department in teaching, research and service.
As part of the review the visiting committee is asked to consider the following:
- Quality of intellectual and personal leadership;
- Administration and development of the Department’s academic programs, research and professional activities; financial management; allocation of resources and space; and accreditation of the Department;
- Administration of the academic personnel process in the Department, including recruitment and retention of faculty;
- Commitment to diversity;
- Efforts directed toward strengthening the teaching function of the Department, the welfare of students, and the development of scholarly research; and
- Development and fundraising.