THIN CRUST PIZZA
• 1 tablespoon plus one teaspoon oil, divided
• 2 cups almond flour
• 2 eggs
• ½ cup dry curd cottage cheese (farmers cheese) can purchase at Stop and Shop
• ¼ teaspoon salt
• 2 cups Mom’s Tomato Sauce (see recipe below)
• 1 teaspoon oregano
• ¾ cup grated cheddar cheese
Directions for Pizza:
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Grease a 9-by-13 inch baking dish or round pizza pan with the teaspoon of oil and set aside.
- To make crust, in a bowl, combine the remaining 1 teaspoon olive oil with the remaining ingredients for the crust. Roll it into a ball, transfer it to the greased baking dish, and pat it down into a thin layer.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and top with the tomato sauce, oregano, and cheese.
- Place the dish back in the oven and bake for another 5 minutes, or until cheese has melted.
Yields 4 to 6 servings
MOM’S TOMATO SAUCE
• 12 plum tomatoes
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 small onion minced
• ½ cup water
• 1 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
• 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
• 1 teaspoon salt
• ½ teaspoon black pepper
Directions for Tomato Sauce:
- Peel, core, and dice the tomatoes. To peel tomatoes, immerse them in boiling water for 20 to 30 seconds and then dip them in cool water. The peels will slip off.
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat and sauté the garlic and onion until tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, water, basil leaves, parsley, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat, simmering uncovered for 45 minutes and stirring occasionally to make sure the tomatoes are well mixed. If you prefer a smooth sauce, allow the sauce to cool and then blend in a food processor.
- Refrigerate the leftover sauce for up to 5 days or freeze until needed.
Yields 4 to 5 cups