Spinach Cucumber Mint Smoothie
This has a clean, green flavor with a faint sweetness. If you prefer a sweeter drink add 1 tablespoon of honey, or more, to taste. If you opt for baby spinach, you may not need to remove the stems.
- 3 ice cubes
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 2 cups, packed, baby spinach or torn, stemmed mature leaves
- ⅓ cup, packed, mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey, or more, optional
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and roughly chopped
- ½ banana, sliced and frozen
Place the ice in the blender and pulse to crush. Add the pineapple juice, spinach, mint, lemon juice, and honey (if using); pulse to begin breaking up the greens and then blend, at first on medium and gradually adjusting to high, to liquefy the solids, 20 seconds to 1 minute, depending on your blender. Add the cucumber and banana, and blend until the mixture is uniform, thick, and moves easily in the blender jar, about 45 seconds. Taste and adjust the seasoning with honey, if desired and serve.
Adapted from The Boston Globe Magazine / January 5, 2014