Spinach Cucumber Mint Smoothie
This has a clean, green flavor with a faint sweetness. If you prefer a sweeter drink add 1 tablespoon of honey, or more, to taste. If you opt for baby spinach, you may not need to remove the stems.
- 3 ice cubes
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 2 cups, packed, baby spinach or torn, stemmed mature leaves
- ⅓ cup, packed, mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey, or more, optional
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and roughly chopped
- ½ banana, sliced and frozen
- Place the ice in the blender and pulse to crush.
- Add the pineapple juice, spinach, mint, lemon juice, and honey (if using); pulse to begin breaking up the greens and then blend, at first on medium and gradually adjusting to high, to liquefy the solids, 20 seconds to 1 minute, depending on your blender.
- Add the cucumber and banana, and blend until the mixture is uniform, thick, and moves easily in the blender jar, about 45 seconds.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning with honey, if desired and serve.
Adapted from The Boston Globe Magazine / January 5, 2014