Kale Coconut Pineapple Smoothie
- 3 ice cubes
- 1½ cups light coconut milk
- 2 cups torn, stemmed kale leaves, packed
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1½ cups roughly chopped pineapple, frozen; thawed to soften a bit
- ½ banana, sliced and frozen
- Place the ice in the blender and pulse to crush.
- Add the coconut milk, kale, and lime juice; pulse to begin breaking up the greens and then blend, at first on medium and gradually adjusting to high, to liquefy the solids, 20 seconds to 1 minute (depending on your blender).
- Add the pineapple and banana, and blend until the mixture is uniform, thick and moves easily in the blender jar, about 45 seconds, and serve.
Adapted from The Boston Globe Magazine / January 5, 2014