McAfee Anti-Virus for Macs
The Information Technology Group has been busy updating our security defenses. To achieve our goal to ensure sensitive and critical data is secure and available, we are migrating your existing antivirus (Symantec) to a new product with enhanced security and availability – McAfee!
Strong, simple, and fast, McAfee® Complete Endpoint Protection— Guards systems and data against complex, stealthy threats .
All computers at University of Massachusetts Medical School (UMMS) must have an antivirus program installed, running and with up-to-date definitions.
In order to install the McAfee Endpoint Protection, the Mac needs to be enrolled in Casper Suite and you have to be connected on-site to UMMS network. If you do not have Casper Suite, please Enroll in Casper
Virus Protection Compliance
McAfee Endpoint Protection software is considered compliant with UMMS IT Virus Protection policy when it is installed and communicating with the server.
To install McAfee:
- you have to be MAC OS X 10.7 or higher
- you have to be connected to UMMS network on-site
- you need to be enrolled in Casper Suite. If you do not have Casper Suite, please Enroll in Casper
Installing McAfee Endpoint Protection from Casper
Use the following procedure to install McAfee.
- From the Go menu, select Applications and then click on Self Service.
- Enter your UMMS user name and password.
- After you are successfully logged on, you will see the McAfee installation. Click on install
- A window will appear that gives you information about the software. Please be aware that a restart is required after the installation is complete.
- Click on the install button to begin the installation.
Installation time should take no more then 10 minutes.
- After the installation is complete you will be presented with this message. Please close all open documents and programs and then click OK to reboot your machine.
Please be aware that the countdown does not begin until AFTER you click ok. You can also click ok and then reboot the machine manually.
After rebooting, your installation will be completed and you will see the McAfee icon in the taskbar. If you experience any issues, please contact the Help Desk.
Malware in News
A recent news article about viruses on mac - Two Mac viruses strike at the heart of the platform's secure image