Research and Scholarship
Communication Skills Teaching at UMass Medical School: A Tradition of Excellence and Innovation.
Opinion editorial authored by Michele Pugnaire, MD, featured in the May/June 2016 Worcester Medicine magzine published by the Worcester Medical Society. Dr. Pugnaire is the Exectuive Director of the interprofessional Center for Experiential Learning and Simulation and is a professor of Family Medicine and Community Health and Senior Associate Dean, Office of Educational Affairs at UMass Medical School (Article)
UMMS Interprofessional Education Grant (IPEG) recipients present during the recent 13th International Conference on Communication in HealthCare in New Orleans, LA.
Standardized Patient Simulation to Promote Clear Communication and Inter-professional Collaborative Practice in Evaluating Older Adults with Dementia, Nancy Morris,PhD, ANP, Erika Oleson, DO, MS (Poster)
The impact of deliberate reflection with WISE-MDTM modules on critical thinking of nurse practitioner students: A prospective, randomized controlled pilot study
UMMS Graduate School of Nursing and UMMS Surgery Faculty Jill Terrien, Janet Fraser Hale, Mitchell Cahan, Mark Quirk, Kate Sullivan, and Joanne Lewis published in 'Journal of Nursing Education and Practice'. October 18, 2015 ARTICLE
Coming Out of the Dark: A curriculum for teaching and evaluating radiology residents' communications skills through simulation
UMass Memorial Radiologist and UMMS Assistant Professor of Radiology Carolynn M. DeBenedectis, MD will present this novel simulation based curriculum for radiology residents at the Radiological Society of North America (RSNA) 101st Scientific Assembly and Annual Meeting, November 29 – December 4, 2015 at McCormick Place, Chicago, Illinois ABSTRACT
UMMS Interprofessional Education Grant (IPEG) recipients present at Eastern Nursing Research Society in Washington, DC
Assessing Situation Awareness in an Interprofessional Simulation Scenario, Maureen E. Wassef, PhD, RN; Eileen F. Terrill, PhD, RN; Jorge Yarzebski, BA; Helen M. Flaherty, MS, RN; Lynn K. D’Esmond, MSHA, RN (Poster)
UMMS Faculty Present at International Meeting for Simulation in Healthcare New Orleans, LA January 10-14, 2015
Simulation-based Community-engaged Research Intervention for Informed Consent Protocol Testing and Training (SCRIIPTT): Outcomes from a Pilot Study, Allison, J., Jenkins, B., Pugnaire, M. et al.(Poster)
Modification of the Gaumard Peristaltic Pump, Taylor, M. (Spectrum of Innovation Presentation)
User’s Guide to Developing an In-Situ Mobile Simulation Program for Frontline Providers, Walsh, B., Auerbach, M., Brown, L., et al. (Workshop Presentation)
|A Comprehensive Simulation-based Disclosure and Apology Training Program:Improving quality of care and loss prevention through disclosure and apologyskills practice and the training of "disclosure coaches"
UMass Memorial Health Care Risk Management Grant Program
|A Community-engaged and Simulation-based Intervention for Culturally Appropriate Informed Consent
UMASS Clinical and Translational Science Award (UMASS CTSA) Pilot Award Program
|Pediatric Research in Disaster Education. Comparing triage strategies and developing curriculum for prehospital professionals.
UMass Medical School, Brown Medical School, Yale Medical School
Emergency Medical Services for Children H34MC19349
|A Comprehensive Simulation-based CVC Training Program to improve patient safety through technical skills practice, interprofessional team training and enhanced patient communication
UMass Memorial Health Care Risk Management Grant Program
|A Comprehensive Simulation Based Course to Improve Quality and Safety inProcedural Sedation
Ethicon Endosurgical/ Johnson & Johnson
|A Multidisciplinary Simulator Based Approach for Teaching and Learning Central Venous Catheter Insertion.
University of MassachusettsInformation Technology Council
|Using Standardized Patients to Assess Professionalism: A Comparative Analysis of Two Approaches
UMass Medical School
Edward J. Stemmler, Medical Education Research Fund of the National Board of Medical Examiners
IPEG GRANTS - Inter-Professional Education Grants sponsored by UMMS
Grant Cycle: 6/30/2014 – 7/1/2015
1. Interprofessional Synergy Dementia Learning Module
- PI: Nancy Morris, PhD, ANP
- Co-PI: Erika Oleson, DO, MS
2. Teaching effective goals-of-care conversations using simulation and an advance care planning tool
- PI: Jennifer Reidy, MD, MS FAAHPM
- Co-PI: Jean Boucher, PhD RN, Majid Yazdani, MD
- Aponte A, Yarzebski JD. Percutaneous Suprapubic Cystostomy. In Irwin R, Lilly C, Rippe JM, editors. 6th Edition of the Manual of Intensive Care Medicine, Lippincott Williams and Wilkins
- Seymour-Route, P; Hale, JF; Pugnaire, M; and Kneeland, M. ( 2012). Chapter 12. Interprofessional education: The role of accelerated nursing programs in preparing the nurse of the future. In Zhan, L and Finch, L. Accelerated Education in Nursing: Challenges, Strategies, and Future Directions. New York: Springer Publishing Company
- Terrien J, Fraser Hale J, Cahan M, Quirk M, Sullivan K, Lewis J, "The impact of deliberate reflection with WISE-MDTM modules on critical thinking of nurse practitioner students: A prospective, randomized controlled pilot study." Journal of Nursing Education and Practice (Online) 18, Oct 2015
- Hawthorne M, Chretien K, Torre D, & Chheda, S. "Re-demonstration without remediation - a missed opportunity? A national survey of internal medicine clerkship directors." Medical Education Online [Online], 19 (2014): n. pag. Web. 3 Feb. 2015 from http://med-ed-online.net/index.php/meo/article/view/25991
- Ndiwane, A. Koul, O., & Theroux, R. (2014). Implementing Standardized Patients to Teach Cultural Competency to Graduate Nursing Student. Clinical Simulation in Nursing, 10(2), e87-e94.
- Cicero, M, Brown, L, Overly, F, Yarzebski, J, Garrett, A, et al Creation and Delphi-Method Refinement of Pediatric Disaster Triage Simulations Prehosp Emerg Care. 2014 Jan 8.
- Howard, E, McGee, S, Jonassen, J, Oleson, E, Burnham, C and Pugnaire, M. (2012). Integration of Elder Abuse and Neglect into a Domestic Violence Curriculum. POGOe - Portal of Geriatric Online Education. Retrieved August 27, 2012 from http://www.pogoe.org/productid/21016
- McGee, S, Gammon, W, Fabiny, A, Gordon, J, Chimienti, S, Burnham, C and Pugnaire, M. (). Formative Geriatric Hybrid Simulation for Sub Interns. POGOe - Portal of Geriatric Online Education. Retrieved December 20, 2012 from http://www.pogoe.org/productid/21014
- Zanetti, M.L., Keller, L., Mazor, K., Carlin, M., Alper, E., Hatem, D., Gammon, W., & Pugnaire, M.P. (2010). Using Standardized Patients to Assess Professionalism: A Generalizability Study. Teaching & Learning in Medical Education, 22(4):274-9, Oct 2010.
- Mazor KM, Zanetti ML, Alper EJ, Hatem D, Barrett SV, Meterko V, Gammon W, Pugnaire MP. Assessing Professionalism in the Context of an OSCE: An In-Depth Study of the Rating Process. Medical Education. 41:331-340; 2007
- Pugnaire M. More than Just Manikins: An Overview of Medical Simulation. Worcester Medicine Science Corner. 70 (5), September/October 2006.
HONORS and AWARDS
Outstanding Educator Award, 2014 presented to Wendy Gammon, MA, MEd, Director Standardized Patient: Association of Standardized Patient Educators (ASPE) International Conference
Best in Show: Serious Games and Virtual Environment, International Meeting Society for Simulation in Healthcare:On Call Emergency Triage Communication Game – Massachusetts Digital Games Institute and UMass Medical School. January 2013
Category Winner: Mass DiGi Digital Games Institute Game Challenge 2013: Serious Games
Pediatric Research in Disaster. 2013
PEER-REVIEWED PRESENTATIONS AND ABSTRACTS
- Yarzebski, J, Gammon, W. Flying High: Integrating hybrid simulation modalities in training programs for flight medics and other critical care transport specialists.12th Annual Conference of the Association of Standardized Patient Educators (ASPE). June 23 – 26, 2013. Atlanta, Georgia. Poster Presentation
- Yarzebski, J, Gammon, W. Improving pediatric disaster triage education in the pre-hospital setting using standardized patients.12th Annual Conference of the Association of Standardized Patient Educators (ASPE). June 23 – 26, 2013. Atlanta, Georgia. Poster Presentation
- McGee, S., Reidy, J., Yazdani, M., Gallagher, J., Hunter, L., Difficult Conversations: A Pilot Geriatric Medicine/Palliative Care Formative Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE), American Geriatrics Society Annual Meeting, Grapevine, TX, May 2013
- Taylor M, Sharma M, Walsh B, Loew T, Pugnaire M, Cotnoir P., A Serious Game for Learning Team Communication Skills. Society for Simulation in Healthcare, Orlando, FL, January 26-30, 2013
- McGee, S., Gammon, W., Keough, M., Burnham, C., Chimienti, S., Yazdani, M., Gallagher, J., Reidy, J., Zanetti, M., Gurwitz, J., Pugnaire, M., Pilot Formative Hybrid Simulation for Sub Interns, American Geriatrics Society Annual Meeting, Seattle, WA, May 2012
- Reidy, J., McGee, S., Yazdani, M., Chojar, N., Donahue, C., Gallagher, J., Gammon, W., Howard, E., Zanetti, M.;Using simulation to teach goals-of-care discussion with seriously ill patients. Harvard Macy Institute Program for Educators in the Health Professions, Cambridge, MA, May 2012
- Cicero M, Brown L, Overly F, Yarzebski JD. Creation and Delphi Method Refinement of Prehospital Pediatric Disaster Triage Simulations. PAS, April 2012
- Gammon, W., Lopez, C., Spain, A. IMSH Certified Healthcare Simulation Educator-Advanced Application and Portfolio Development Workshop. 12th International Meeting on Simulation in Healthcare (IMSH) January 28 to February 1, 2012. San Diego, California.
- Gammon, W., McGee, S., Pugnaire, M., Geriatric SPs Working Successfully with Your Senior Boomers, 10th Anniversary ASPE Conference, Nashville, TN, Jun 5-8, 2011.
- McGee, S., Twomey, J., Hawthorne, M., Gammon, W., Keough, M.E.; DuBeau, C., Gurwitz, J., Pugnaire M.;Formative Geriatric OSCE for Third Year Medicine Clerkship, Presidential Poster Session, American Geriatrics Society Annual Meeting, National Harbor, MD, May 2011
- SM McGee, W Gammon. Mixing It Up: Using Hybrid Simulations in Undergraduate Education. Landon Center on Aging Educational Retreat – Kansas University Medical Center Interprofessional Health Science Education. June 10 – 12, 2011, Excelsior Springs, Missouri
- Gammon, W, McGee S, Chimienti, S, Taylor, M, Fabiny, A, Gordon, J, Pugnaire MP, supported by DW Reynolds Foundation, Simulation in Geriatric Education: A Hybrid OSCE Blending Standardized Patients and Mannequin Technology, 11th International Meeting on Simulation in Healthcare (IMSH) New Orleans, LA, January 23-25 2011.
- Shah, A; Taylor, M; Callaghan, K; Young, S. Development of a Pelvic Model for Simulation Based Education. Annual International Meeting on Simulation in Healthcare, sponsored by the Society for Simulation in Healthcare, New Orleans, LA, January 2011.
- Walsh, B; Taylor, M. In-Situ Simulation: A Novel Approach to Mobile Simulation for Pediatrics. Annual International Meeting on Simulation in Healthcare, sponsored by the Society for Simulation in Healthcare, New Orleans, LA, January 2011.
- Gammon, W., McGee S., Chimienti, S., Taylor, M., Fabiny, A., Gordon, J., Pugnaire M., supported by DW Reynolds Foundation, Simulation in Geriatric Education: A Hybrid OSCE Blending Standardized Patients and Mannequin Technology, 11th International Meeting on Simulation in Healthcare (IMSH) New Orleans, LA, January 23-25 2011.
- W Gammon, S McGee, M Taylor, S Chimienti, A Fabiny, J Gordon. Teaching Geriatric Education With a Hybrid OSCE Blending Standardized Patients and Mannequin Technology. 11th Annual International Meeting on Simulation in Healthcare (IMSH. Jan 21-26, 2011. New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Goedecke E, Courtney J, Aghababian RV, Hildebrand J, Yarzebski JD, Yarzebski JL. Improving Pediatric Mass Casualty Training in Guatemala: A Pilot Study. NAEMSP, Annual Meeting, January 2011
- DuBeau, C, McGee, S, Keough, M, Twomey, J, Pugnaire, M, Gurwitz, J, Hawthorne, M, Gammon, W, Formative Geriatric OSCE for Third Year Medicine Clerkship, Division of Geriatric Medicine, Division of Research and Evaluation, Department of Medicine, Office of Educational Affairs University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, MA 2010
- McGee. S., Gammon, W., Keough, M.E., DuBeau, C., Pugnaire, M., & Gurwitz, J. (2010). Challenges and strategies when working with "geriatric" standardized patients (SPs). Presentation at the American Geriatrics Society Annual Meeting 2010.
- Aghababian RV, Ducanto J, Yarzebski JD. Special Interactive Exhibit, Demonstrating the preparation and management during transport of a critically ill patient who is being sent to a tertiary care facility – Integration of Medical Education and Technology, Recent Innovations. American Society of Internal Artificial Organs, Baltimore MD, May 2010
- McGee, S., Gammon, W., Keough, M.E., DuBeau, C., Gurwitz, J., Pugnaire, M.; Challenges and Strategies When Working with Geriatric Standardized Patients (SPs); American Geriatrics Society Annual Meeting, Orlando, FL, May 2010
- Taylor M., Sweeney WB. Development of a Model for Pre-Sacral Hemorrhage. Annual International Meeting on Simulation in Healthcare, sponsored by the Society for Simulation in Healthcare, Orlando, FL, January 2010.
- Zanetti, ML, Sefton, LA, McGee, SM, Sweeney, WB, Taylor, M, Pasquale, S, Pugnaire, MP An Institutionally-Supported Simulation Center: Keys to Success. Poster 120th AAMC Annual Meeting, Boston, MA, November 9, 2009.
- Cantrell, M., Gammon, W. Gephardt, G. Postgraduate Course (Pre Conference Course) Standardized Patients & Multi-Modality Simulation. 9th Annual International Meeting on Simulation in Healthcare. Jan 11–14, 2009. Lake Buena Vista, Florida
- Pasquale, S., Pugnaire, M.; Nahmias, J.; Taylor, M.; McGee, S.; Maykel, J., Sweeney, W.B.; Students as Educators: A medical school enrichment elective combining educational principles with teaching opportunities using simulation. 9th Annual International Meeting on Simulation in Healthcare, Lake Buena Vista, FL., January 2009.
- Sweeney, W, Pasquale, S, Nahmias, J, Taylor, M, McGee, S, Pugnaire, M. Students as Educators: A Medical School Enrichment Elective Combining Educational Principles with Teaching Opportunities Using Simulation,Work in Progress. 9th Annual International Meeting on Simulation in Healthcare, Lake Buena Vista, FL January 10-14, 2009.
- McGee, S., Pasquale, S., Cahan, M., Larkin, A., Taylor, M., Terrien, J., Zanetti, M., Riza, L.; A Multidisciplinary Simulator Approach for Teaching and Learning Central Venous Catheter (CVC) Insertion’. Poster Session Ninth Annual International Meeting on Simulation in Healthcare, Lake Buena Vista, Florida, January 2009.
- Sweeney, B, Pasquale, S, Nahmias, J, Taylor, M, Cahan, M, McGee, S, Pugnaire, M. Surgical Simulation Scenarios: Integrating Technical Skill Simulation into a Busy Surgical Clerkship, Work in Progress. 9th Annual International Meeting on Simulation in Healthcare, Lake Buena Vista, FL January 10-14, 2009.
- Sweeney, B, Taylor, M, McGee, S, Pugnaire, M. Defining and Categorizing Technical Skills Required for Medical Student Graduation Based on Simulation, Work in Progress. 9th Annual International Meeting on Simulation in Healthcare, Lake Buena Vista, FL January 10-14, 2009.
- King, A., Gammon, W., Loprieato, J., Pohl, H., Developing Case Material for Performance Based Assessments: Standardized Patients and Simulators. Annual meeting of the Association of Standardized Patient Educators. 29 June – 2 July, 2008. San Antonio, Texas
- McGee, S., Pasquale, S., Riza, L. A Multidisciplinary Simulator-Based Approach for Teaching and Learning Central Venous Catheter Insertion. University of Massachusetts Technology Conference, April 2008