Performance Appraisal Process
When done correctly, performance appraisals can be an effective tool for motivation and retention. It can be an uncomfortable experience for both manager and employee if not conducted appropriately.
Use Performance Appraisals to:
- Manage performance on a continuous basis, not only at the time of formal review
- Identify performance expectations by focusing on results.
- Learn how to set specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and time-bound (SMART) goals.
I. Training Information:
- Managers: Conducting Performance Reviews – With Merit Pay
“If you have union employees, please refer to the applicable union contract.”
- Employees: Preparing for your Performance Appraisal(Self-Paced Online Webinar)
- PowerPoint Slide Deck/Hand-Outs
- UMMS Compensation Tools/Resources
Please Note: Completed performance appraisals for all non-unit Professional and Classified employees are due by Date: May 29, 2015. As in the past, scanned copies of performance appraisals will be accepted, provided all required signatures are included.
III. Related Articles:
- 3 Reasons Performance Management will change in 2013 (from Forbes)
- Importance of Performance Management Process & Best Practices (from Successfactors)
- The New Thinking in Performance Appraisals (Workforce)
- Effective Phrases for Performance Appraisals – A Guide to Successful Evaluations
By James E. Neal, Jr
- 2600 Phrases for Effective Performance Reviews: Ready-to-Use Words and Phrases That Really Get Results
Paul FALCONE - June 10, 2005