Students on OPT are required to follow all F-1 regulations and to report certain information to Immigration Services (for individuals working at UMMS on OPT, information below must be reported to appropriate office at sponsoring university) on a regular basis. Failure to do so could result in loss of your legal visa status in the U.S.
All information should be sent within 10 business days of the event/change. Send updates via e-mail to email@example.com. In the subject line put “OPT Update”
- Legal name changes
- Changes in residential or mailing address
- Current employment information (giving name and address of current employer and start date of employment)
- Changes in employer (giving end date of prior employment, start date of new employment, and name and address of employer)
- Loss of employment
Additional reporting requirements for 17-month extensions: You must send Immigration Services a validation report every six months starting from the date the 17-month extension starts and ending when your F-1 status or the 17-month extension ends, whichever is first]. The report must include the following:
- Full legal name
- SEVIS identification number
- Current address
- Name and address of current employer
- Date you began working for the current employer
Immigration Services requires that all OPT applcants review and sign a form to acknowledge that you have been informed of and are aware of your responsibilities as a student on an approved period of OPT.
Optional Practical Training information - Optional Practical Training application instructions - Traveling while on OPT - Information about the 17 month OPT extension - 17 month OPT extension application instructions - Limits on employment / unemployment during OPT - H-1b "cap-gap" extension (information & instructions) - Traveling on OPT