J-1 Immigration Packet
The sponsoring UMMS department should forward the completed J-1 immigration packet to their department's designated Immigration Specialist within the Immigration Services Office at least 3 months prior to the desired arrival date. Please note the following:
- All requested items must be submitted in completion. Incomplete forms or missing documentation may cause delays in issuance of the Form DS-2019.
- Please verify that all prospective Exchange Visitor names be written exactly as they appear in the exchange visitors' passport.
- While we require the forms to be signed, we do accept scanned pdf copies of the original packets via e-mail with the exclusion of the PI Visa Support Letter.
J-1 Immigration Packet Contents
Family Data Sheet
: If requesting visa documents for spouse and/or unmarried children under age 21.
J-1 Transfer-in Form
: Required for individuals who are already in the U.S. in J-1 status at another institution.
: Required for any prospective exchange visitor holding a medical degree (M.D. or equivalent).
- PI Visa Support Letter: Original with signature needed - not pdf copy.
- UMMS Offer Letter (If UMMS funded).
Verification of non-UMMS funding (if applicable).
- Copy of highest awarded diploma (in native language accompanied by certified English translation, if applicable).
Biographical information pages from passport listing name & birth date for prospective J-1 (and dependents if applicable).
Copies of current visa documents (if prospective exchange visitor is currently in the U.S.).
Copies of visa documents showing any prior time spent in the U.S. in J1 or J2 visa status.
Information for J1 Student Interns
Please review the J-1 Student Intern Requirements and additional documents linked below, required to sponsor a J-1 Student Intern: