Initial J Packet for Clinical Training Programs (Graduate Medical Education ONLY)
Submit the completed Initial J-Clinical Packet to Immigration Services at least 60 - 90 days prior to the desired start date (to avoid payroll delays on July 1, submit by April 1). Be sure to type or print clearly and provide all requested information. Incomplete / illegible information may cause processing delays.
Initial J (GME) Immigration Packet Contents
- Appointment Agreement: Your program will forward the agreement. It must be signed by the resident, Program Director and GME.
- Fellowship Program Description [if entering into a Fellowship Program]: The Residency Coordinator will create this document by going to the ECFMG website. The Guidelines for Fellowship Program Description are listed on page six of the application.
- Application form for Initial J1 Visa Sponsorship (page 4): Complete section A (left side). For Question #10, Health and Accident Insurance information, print “UMass Medical School.” Immigration Services will complete the rest of the application form.
- Application for J-2 Dependent Sponsorship (page 5): Complete for spouse and/or children under 21, if applicable. Attach a copy of dependent's passport biological informaton page.
- Statement of Need (from the central office of the Ministry of Health in your country of most recent legal permanent residence): See ECFMG’s Exchange Visitor Sponsorship Program Reference Guide for more information. The Statement of Need letter may be date-specific. If the Statement of Need has a specific end date, another will be required upon expiration. A new Statement of Need is also required if you are moving to a new program.
- Current Curriculum Vitae (CV) / Resume: Must be current to May preceeding July 1.
- Copy of Passport Biographical Information: This includes name, birth date, passport issuance and expiration dates.
- $250 Administrative Fee (non-refundable): The preferred payment method is via OASIS / ECFMG. Provide the OASIS confirmation number to Immigration Services. Be sure to include USMLE/ECFMG number If paying by personal check or money order [payable to ECFMG]. Online payment via OASIS allows your J application to be processed faster.
Additional Documentation, if applicable
- Proof of country of most recent legal permanent residence if this differs from country of citizenship
- Copies of Forms DS-2019: if you have previously held J-1 status in the U.S.
- Copy of Medical School Diploma: If you are a graduate of a Canadian Medical School. A certified word-for-word English translation must accompany a non-English document. Also include a passport-size photograph, per Department of State photo specifications.
Immigration Services will review the completed immigration packet and submit the file applicatino package to ECFMG where processing time is 4 to 6 weeks. The approved Form DS-2019 will be sent to Immigration Services and then to the applicant, as directed. When you receive the Form DS-2019, you should pay the SEVIS fee and contact the U.S. Embassy for an interview date to apply for the J-1 visa stamp. Please see ECFMG's travel website for more information.
You are allowed to enter the U.S. within 30 days of the start date. After you enter the U.S., you must met with Immigration Services so that we can validate your arrival with ECFMG.