Academic Year 2014-2015 Orientation
Welcome to the University of Massachusetts Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences. We look forward to an exciting year of study and research. During this time, the faculty and staff of our school will be available to assist you as you encounter each new challenge that graduate studies inevitably present.
Early Fall Orientation is Monday, July 7
Early Fall Tentative Schedule (subject to change)
Fall Orientation for all students begins Wednesday, September 3
Fall Tentative Schedule (subject to change)
GSBS Academic Calendar
AY1415 Academic Calendar (subject to change)
Lab Rotation Finder
Student Health Clearance Documents
Please see information at the following link regarding the Student Health Clearance policy: http://www.umassmed.edu/gsbs/studentsfaculty/schoolhealth/clearance.aspx
There are two different Health Clearance Forms, so please use the correct one.
- Health Clearance Form for BBS (Basic & Biomedical Sciences) including PGSP, and MPP (Millenium PhD Program) students
- Health Clearance Form for CPHR (Clinical and Population Health Research), MSCI (Masters in Science in Clinical Investigations), and MD/PhD students
- The form must be submitted at least 2 weeks before the start of class and you must be cleared by Student Health prior to your start in order to be paid, attend class, or work in a lab.
- You need to have had a physical exam within one year before your start date.
- The TST Screening and Symptom Review Form does not need to be completed unless you have had a past positive TST test.
- Here is the 2-Step Tuberculin Skin Test (TST) Information Sheet referred to on the Student Health Clearance Checklist.
- CPHR, MSCI, and MD/PhD students need to submit the Blood-Borne Pathogen Form.
Please send the completed health form and any supporting documents to:
UMMS Student Health Services
1st Floor Benedict Bldg.
55 Lake Avenue North
Worcester, MA 01655
Human Resources and Payroll Documents for students receiving a stipend - please don't staple
Students receive their stipend as non-benefited UMMS employees. This requires that the following documents be completed before Human Resources can process the student’s paycheck. Please print hard copies and mail to the address at the end of the list.
- Personal Data Questionnaire
- If you know your address in the Worcester area, please use that. If you don't, use your current address even if it is overseas. This can be updated after you arrive.
- Please note that completion of the section entitled "Affirmative Action Self-Identification Form" is optional.
- Sign the last page.
- Payroll Direct Deposit
- The bank needs to be in the US. If you don't have a bank account in the US, don't complete this form now. You can complete it after you arrive in Worcester and open a bank account.
- If you have a US bank account but will be changing it to a Worcester-area bank, please use your current bank just to get started. You can change the deposits to your new bank later.
- Don't forget to sign and date. No Employee ID is necessary at the top of the form.
- W4 - This is the federal tax form. Only the form itself (first page) needs to be turned in. If you will be on a visa, don't complete this form now. You will complete it when you meet with the a representative of Immigration Services upon your arrival.
- M4 - This is the Massachusetts state tax form. Please ignore the sentence at the bottom of the form stating that you may have to complete the federal W-4 form only - we need both the W-4 and the M-4. If you will be on a visa, don't complete this form now. You will complete it when you meet with a rep from Immigration Services.
- Return Company Property Agreement - Print name, sign and date.
- Statement Regarding Social Security - No ID# nor Employer Name required. Sign in the signature box and date.
- Conflict of Interest Law for State Employees - Print only the last page, sign and date.
- Confidentiality and Security Agreement - Sign and date.
- Computing Awareness and Data Security Compliance Statement - Print only the second page, sign and date.
- Title IV Authorization Form - Print page 2 only. Print your name, sign and date.
- Proof of Residency
- If you are outside the US, don't complete this form now. You will complete it at Orientation.
- If you are in the US (on a visa or not), please complete this form and have it notarized, signing as either a Massachusetts resident or a non-MA resident. If you are on a visa, you are a non-Massachusetts resident no matter how long you have lived here. Use the Rules and Regulations Governing Residency Status for guidance. Rules and Regulations Governing Residency Status
- I9 - This is a very important form that you do not need to print and send. I will have it at Orientation for domestic students. Students on a visa will complete it with Immigration Services. You need to bring with you an acceptable form of identification as proof of employment eligibility and a photocopy of that document. Most people use one of the following: 1) their unexpired passport, or 2) both their driver's license and their Social Security card. The last page of the form lists the acceptable documents.
Please send all HR paperwork (except the I9) to:
Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences (Rm. S1-824)
UMass Medical School
55 Lake Avenue North
Worcester, MA 01655