Academic Year 2013-2014 Orientation
Welcome to the University of Massachusetts Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences. We look forward to an exciting year of study and research. During this time, the faculty and staff of our school will be available to assist you as you encounter each new challenge that graduate studies inevitably present.
Fall Orientation for all students begins Wednesday, September 4
Fall 2013 Orientation Schedule (subject to change)
GSBS Academic Calendar
AY1314 GSBS Academic Calendar (subject to change)
On this School of Medicine webpage, everything applies to GSBS students except Learning Communities, On Call Center, Student Groups/Organizations, and Student Pagers.
Lab Rotation Finder
Student Health Clearance Documents
Please see information at this link regarding the Student Health Clearance policy: http://www.umassmed.edu/gsbs/studentsfaculty/schoolhealth/clearance.aspx
- MD/PhD students please note: The form below is not the form you should use because the School of Medicine has different requirements. Please follow instructions you have received from the Registrar.
- All other students: The form below must be submitted at least 2 weeks before the start of class and you must be cleared by Student Health prior to your start in order to be paid, attend class, or work in a lab.
- You need to have had a physical exam within one year before your start date.
- The TST Screening Form does not need to be completed unless you have had a past positive TST test.
Student Health Clearance Form
TST Screening Form
Please send the completed health form and any supporting documents to:
UMMS Student Health Services
1st Floor Benedict Bldg.
55 Lake Avenue North
Worcester, MA 01655
Human Resources and Payroll Documents for students receiving a stipend - please don't staple
Students receive their stipend as non-benefited UMMS employees. This requires that the following documents be completed before Human Resources can process the student’s paycheck. Please print hard copies and mail to the address at the end of the list.
- Personal Data Questionnaire - If you know your address in the Worcester area, use that. If you don't, please use your current address even if it is overseas. This can be updated after you arrive.
- Payroll Direct Deposit-
- The bank needs to be in the US. If you don't have a bank account in the US, don't complete this form now. You can complete it after you arrive in Worcester and open a bank account.
- If you have a US bank account but will be changing it to a Worcester-area bank, we'd prefer that you use your current bank just to get started. You can change the deposits to your new bank after you get settled.
- Don't forget to sign and date. No Employee ID nor Effective Date is necessary at the top of the form.
- W4 - This is the federal tax form. I only need the form itself (first page), not the worksheet page. If you will be on a visa, don't complete this form now. You will complete it when you meet with the a representative of Immigration Services upon your arrival.
- M4 - This is the Massachusetts state tax form. Please ignore the sentence at the bottom of the form stating that you may have to complete the federal W-4 form only. We need both the W-4 and the M-4. If you will be on a visa, don't complete this form now. You will complete it when you meet with a rep from Immigration Services.
- Confidentiality & Security Agreement Form - All students must sign and date.
- Property Return Form - Print name, sign and date.
- Statement Regarding Social Security - Print page 1 only. At the top, no ID# nor Employer Name required. All students must sign and date.
- Conflict of Interest - Read, print just the last page, print your name, sign and date.
- Title IV Authorization Form - Print page 2 only. Print your name, sign and date.
- Proof of Residency
- If you are outside the US, don't complete this form now. You will complete it at Orientation.
- If you are in the US (on a visa or not), please complete this form and have it notarized, signing as either a Massachusetts resident or a non-MA resident. If you are on a visa, you are a non-Massachusetts resident no matter how long you have lived here. Use the Rules and Regulations Governing Residency Status for guidance. Rules and Regulations Governing Residency Status
- I9 - This is a very important form that you do not need to print and send. I will have it at Orientation for domestic students. Students on a visa will complete it with Immigration Services. You need to bring with you an acceptable form of identification as proof of employment eligibility and a photocopy of that document. Most people use one of the following: 1) their unexpired passport, or 2) both their driver's license and their Social Security card. To see the list of other acceptable documents, see the last page of the form
Please send all HR paperwork (except the I9) to:
Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences (Rm. S1-824)
UMass Medical School
55 Lake Avenue North
Worcester, MA 01655