Mindfulness @ UMass Memorial Health Care and Medical School
At our Academic Health Sciences Center of UMass Memorial Health Care and UMass Medical School, wellness is a core value. A number of resources have been made available to promote wellness across the clinical system and medical school. One of our most important and accessible resources is the practice of mindfulness. Studies, particularly those conducted by our renowned Center for Mindfulness, have shown that practicing mindfulness can engender a variety of physical, psychological and social benefits.
The Diversity and Inclusion Office and UMass Memorial Health Care (including Employee Health, Human Resources, and UMass Memorial Medical Group), have partnered with the Medical School’s Center of Mindfulness and Department of Psychiatry to provide a number of programs and resources that promote the practice of mindfulness as a strategy for managing stress, achieving peak performance, and reaching professional and personal fulfillment. Follow the links below to learn more.
New to mindfulness? Try an introductory session to gain awareness of the benefits of incorporating mindfulness into a regular practice for wellness and well-being. More here.
Mindfulness learning opportunities will deepen your understanding of the benefits of mindfulness and introduce you to ways of developing a mindfulness practice. These programs are offered in face to face formats or through online resources that allow you to learn anytime at your own pace. More here.
Creating a mindfulness routine can be the most formidable obstacle of all to establishing a mindfulness practice. Opportunities for practice for the Academic Medical Center Community and for patients are available and expanding. Contact the Diversity and Inclusion Office if you are interested in becoming a Mindfulness Champion at your work or clinical location. These volunteer Champions will receive training at the Center for Mindfulness and conduct mindfulness meditation sessions on site. Please send an email to email@example.com to receive further information and be notified of upcoming training opportunities.
- Biotech I Campus – Monday, Wednesday and Friday 12:00 - 12:30 PM – Lab Conference Room B – 2nd Floor
- Center for Mindfulness – Mondays 7:00-8:00 PM (includes discussion) & Wednesdays 7:30 - 8:30 AM (silent meditation), 222 Maple Ave. Shrewsbury
- Community Health Link – Wednesday’s 12:30-12:40 PM, HOAP Clinic 2nd Floor Group Room (contact Joyce Landers, MS, ANP-BC) – all staff
- Community Health Link – Friday’s 12:30-12:50 PM, 72 Jaques Avenue, Small Conference Room (contact Madhusmita Dhakal, MD) – all staff and patients
- Hahnemann Campus – Weekly: Mondays 8:00-8:30 AM & Wednesdays 12:15 PM- 12:45 PM, Ann Nemitz Conference Room
- Memorial Campus – Tuesdays, 7:30 AM – 8:00 AM, Memorial 1 Conference Room
- South Street Campus – Tuesday 12:15 PM – 12:45 PM, England Conference Room
- University Campus – Tuesday, 7:30 AM – 8:00 AM, ACC - The Remillard Meditation Room, 6th Floor, Ambulatory Care Center
- University Campus – Thursday, 9:30 AM – 10:00 AM, Lakeside 2 ICU, Guided by Tom Hopkins
- University Campus – Daily, 12:00 PM – 12:30 PM (10 minute sessions start at 12:05 pm) Meeting Room A, H1-777 Administration Hall – Hospital Building
***NOTE*** H1-177 is not always available, please check the UpNext! site or this document to see if the room is over booked. We recommend using The Remillard Meditation room on the 6th floor of the ACC building if H1-177 is not available.
If you have completed Mindfulness Champion training or have mindfulness meditation experience and would like to hold a practice at your work location, please contact Fernanda Gama at firstname.lastname@example.org
Stay Informed of New Opportunities:
Boston Globe has a nice article about Mindfulness exercises reducing stress!
We have Independent Practice Meditation Cards! If you would like some send a request with subject of "independent meditation desk cards" to this email email@example.com