Peking University Health Science Center
The history of Peking University Health Science Center (PUHSC) can be traced back to as early as the beginning of the 20th century. In 1903 the government of Qing Dynasty established the Medical Clinic at the Royal Capital Higher Educational Institute. On October 16th, the Ministry of Education appointed Tang Erhe as the President of Peking Medical School. Thus the first national school of western medicine was formally established, having nine staff members with the first admission of 72 students. Peking Medical School struggled through the unsteady years of wars and social turmoil. In the 1930s and 1940s, it was renamed as Peking University Medical School, and was incorporated into Peking University. In 1952, with the restructuring of higher education system of new China, Peking University Medical School was separated from Peking University and became an independent college named as Beijing Medical College. On April 3rd, 2000, BMU was again incorporated into Peking University. And on May 4th, it was formally renamed Peking University Health Science Center.
PUHSC now has enrollment of 10112 students, including 927 doctoral students, 1036 master program students, 3196 undergraduates, 696 junior college students, 3994 adult learning program students, and 388 international students. PUHSC has 11 schools, 1 institute and 1 division. In addition, it has five affiliated hospitals, and 15 hospitals in Beijing serve as its teaching hospital.