Train-the-Trainer Advanced Pathway
Educating and Training a New Generation of MBSR Teachers
Since the founding of the Stress Reduction Clinic and mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR) by Jon Kabat-Zinn in 1979, the Center for Mindfulness in Medicine, Health Care, and Society at the University of Massachusetts Medical School has been at the forefront of forging foundational changes in the worlds of medicine and health care. Located in the Department of Medicine and the Division of Preventive and Behavioral Medicine, the Center has been a visionary force in creating a more participatory medicine focused on relieving suffering and increasing human flourishing.
Through the growth of its programs and outreach, the need for more highly educated and trained MBSR teachers emerged. Meeting this need, in 2001, Saki Santorelli, EdD, MA, founded Oasis Institute for MBSR Professional Education and Training. This dynamic educational institute is focused on disseminating the approach and research of MBSR through teacher education programs that honor both the objective and subjective methods of learning into a seamless methodology and curriculum. Since its inception, over 16,000 professionals from six continents have attended these trainings.
This teacher training program is in response to the demand for well trained MBSR teacher trainers who are prepared to cultivate a new generation of MBSR teachers. It is a live, online progressive series of four (4) components taught by senior MBSR teacher trainers, followed by mentoring sessions that lead to Teacher Trainer Certification in MBSR.
Designed for certified MBSR teachers who are intent on teaching others to become MBSR teachers
Through this new advanced training pathway, the Train-the-Trainer program, intends to:
- extend the cultivation of the next generation of MBSR teachers
- provide a vehicle for the transmission and continuity of the lineage of MBSR as developed at the University of Massachusetts Medical School, Center for Mindfulness in Medicine, Health Care, and Society
- maintain the depth, breadth, and integrity of teacher trainings through Oasis Institute
- extend to populations across cultures, languages and socio-economic groups world-wide
- continue developing skillful avenues for human flourishing