Teacher Certification Review
Teacher Certification in MBSR is the recognition of your in-depth understanding and skillful delivery of the MBSR curriculum, and an acknowledgment that your teaching competencies meet all practice standards for MBSR teachers as established by the Center for Mindfulness.
Applying for Teacher Certification in MBSR Review does not guarantee that you will receive Certification. Please note that the awarding of Certification as a Teacher of MBSR does not indicate approval by the CFM for training other MBSR teachers.
- Completion of all Phase 1-3 requirements
- Experience teaching at least eight complete eight-week MBSR courses
- Continuing daily mindfulness meditation practice, yoga and other body-centered awareness disciplines
- Professional graduate degree or equivalent working experience
- Completion of at least four 5-10 day mindfulness meditation retreats, at least two of which must be of 9 days duration or longer
Teacher Certification in MBSR Review Portfolio Checklist
Objective: Develop and submit a portfolio that demonstrates the quality of your teaching.
Click here for a printable pdf of this checklist.
To be considered for certification, your portfolio must include all of the following elements:
- One copy of a video (a total of 1-2 hours duration) of your teaching as follows:
- leading a meditation practice that begins with awareness of breath, continues to whole body, sounds, thoughts, emotions, and finishes with open presence
- leading standing yoga (video should illustrate a few standing yoga stretches)
- engaging in group dialogue and inquiry
- making a didactic presentation about stress
Recommendation: One option might be to film Class #5, which contains several of the above elements.
- One copy of materials you have developed to enhance and support your in-class instructions, including
- course curricula;
- home practice recordings:
- Guided Body Scan Meditation (40-45 minutes)
- Lying Down Yoga (40-45 minutes)
- Guided Sitting Meditation (progressing through awareness of breath, body sensations, sounds, thoughts, emotions, and choiceless awareness) (40-45 minutes)
- Standing Yoga (40-45 minutes)
- workbooks; and
- any teaching resources particular to your classes.
- Recommendations from
- a mentor, teacher someone else who is personally familiar with your meditation background; and
- two professional colleagues who have experienced your MBSR teaching through participating in your classes and/or who have referred participants to your MBSR courses.
- Evaluations from six participants from one or more of your classes. (Click here for the Teacher Evaluation form)
- A copy of Supervision Closing Reflection and Assessment from your Supervisor (Click here for the Supervision Reflection and Assessment form)
- A list of the number, setting, location, and dates of all the MBSR classes you have taught. *
Teacher Certification Review candidates from non-English speaking countries are required to provide either a close English translation of the video recording, audio recordings for practice and other teaching materials, or pay an additional fee of $250 for the translation of materials by CFM Language Consultants. Language Consultants are skilled MBSR teachers who also recognize the language and cultural adaptations necessary as they relate to the competent articulation of MBSR concepts and practice.
If your video and teaching materials are in English, your portfolio will be reviewed by a senior, CFM certified teacher. If a language consultant is needed, then your portfolio is first reviewed by the CFM Language Consultant and then by a senior, CFM certified teacher.
In all cases, the review process is extensive and iterative.
Teacher Certification applications are now accepted on a rolling basis.
How to Apply for Certification
Once your portfolio is complete, please review this section carefully before submitting your application. If you have questions, contact email@example.com. The preferred method of submission is electronic. You will find the link to the TCR application below.
- You can post your videos on a web service such as YouTube and Vimeo. Your videos can be posted as "unlisted" which means they will be available only to those with whom you choose to share a link.
- Your audio files can be saved in MP3 format and then posted to an online service such as Dropbox, from which the review team can play the recordings (please do not email files).
The Center for Mindfulness is not able to offer further technical support for the creation and delivery of these recordings.
By US Mail
Send your entire application package, including the portfolio, to us by mail:
Center for Mindfulness
222 Maple Ave
Shrewsbury, MA 01545
Any application sent by mail must include the following:
- Your current CV or resume, which includes information about your professional training and graduate degree, if any, in the fields of health care, psychology, education or a related field.
- An application letter with all of the following,
- Your name, postal address, phone number, and email address.
- The name and dates of the program for which you are applying.
- A list of other Oasis Institute trainings that you have attended, dates, and location (if applicable)
- How you meet all of the program's prerequisites including:
- A list of required number of 5-10 day silent, teacher-led mindfulness meditation retreats.
- Any other requirements listed on the web page for your program.
- A description and brief history of pathways of inner development that you have intentionally explored in depth (e.g. awareness practices, psychological investigations).
- A description and brief history of your meditation training, the tradition(s) in which you practice, your regularity of practice, all teacher-led retreats you have attended, and the meaning of practice in your life and work.
- A description and brief history of your yoga or other bodywork training and practice.
- A description and brief history of your teaching of MBSR.
- A complete portfolio, as described above.
Certification Review Fees
Application fee: $200, payable to the CFM at the time of your application.
The application fee must be paid upon submission of your application materials. The application fee is non-refundable, regardless of your final acceptance status.
Review fee: Total $995 (less $200 application fee), $795 payable to the CFM once you have been notified that your application has been assigned to a review committee.
Teacher Certification in MBSR Review Evaluation and Reflection
Following Teacher Certification in MBSR Review, you may be asked to refine your understanding through:
- Attending other Oasis Institute training programs or additional retreats,
- Additional study and reflection on specific learning components,
- Additional MBSR teaching,
- Revision of course materials,
- Additional supervision.
If you meet all criteria deemed satisfactory according to practice standards for MBSR teachers as established by the Center for Mindfulness, you will be granted Teacher Certification in MBSR.