Application for Admission
Successful applicants are admitted to the Basic & Biomedical Sciences (BBS) division of the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences (GSBS), rather than to a specific PhD program. The BBS Graduate Admissions Committee, comprising GSBS faculty and students, is responsible for the initial selection of applicants for interview. The wider GSBS faculty will evaluate applicants who are invited to visit for interviews. International applicants are not required to visit UMMS but may be interviewed using tele- or video-conferencing. Accepted applicants will receive official notification from the Dean. No other statements, verbal or in writing, will constitute acceptance into the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences.
A complete application for admission must include all of the following:
- Completed application for admission. Applicants must apply online
- Transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions attended*
- Results of the GRE (Graduate Record Examination) in verbal, quantitative and analytical writing.* The UMMS code number is 3936. No department code is needed. Details may be obtained from the Educational Testing Service, GRE www.gre.org
- Foreign applicants must submit TOEFL results*
- Three letters of recommendation from individuals who are able to assess the applicant’s past academic and research performance and prospective success in graduate school. Recommenders must use the on-line recommendation form contained within the on-line application.
- Application fee of $80.
- Applications cannot be considered until all of these materials have been received.
*Applicants are encouraged to upload transcripts, GRE and TOEFL score reports within the application process. Official transcripts and score reports are required only if and when applicants matriculate as students.