Teaching a Child to Summon Help
We’ve all heard marvelous stories about children who save a loved one’s life. But would your children be able to rise to the occasion? It’s all about preparation.
• Teach your children how to dial 911 as soon as they can play with the phone.
• Make sure they know their first and last name.
• Instruct them to speak loudly and clearly, and to listen carefully for questions and instructions.
• Go over emergency scenarios, providing more details the older they get.
• Be sure they understand that calling 911 is not a game, but when in doubt, they should make the call.
Routinely review this information with your children.