2012 Resident/Fellow Clinical Scholars Program at the University of Massachusetts Medical School
Invitation for Applications
DEADLINE: Friday, November 2, 2012 by 5:00 PM (EST)
To: Residency and Fellowship Program Directors and Department Chairs
From: Terrence Flotte, Dean and Gyongyi Szabo, Associate Dean for Clinical and Translational Sciences
In order to enhance research training opportunities for physicians, the University of Massachusetts Medical School launched the Clinical Scholars Fellowship in 2010 for training and development of physician-scientists in translational and clinical research. Four Clinical Scholars will be selected based on established criteria through a formal application and selection process. All departments and training programs are eligible to submit candidates.
- Clinical Scholars will spend a minimum of two years research during their residency/fellowship program. During the research project, the fellow's clinical involvement will not exceed 20% effort/time and extention of the research time to three years will be possible upon demonstrated productivity. It is expected that fellows of this program will submit publications before the conclusion of their research.
- Clinical Scholars will select a highly accomplished investigator/mentor from the MMS faculty who will work closely with the fellow to provide research and career guidance.
- Fellows will participate in all mandatory training modules required for conduct of research (CITI test, animal training, radiation safety, etc.)
- Clinical Scholars will take a class in the conduct of ethical research and in scientific writing (GSBS courses).
- Mentoring: Each fellow will be assigned a Clinical Scholars Advisory Committee (2 research faculty and the residency/fellowship training directors) who will follow the development and progress of the fellow. The fellow will be responsible to arrange meetings with the Advisory Group every six months.
- Fellows will participate in quarterly programs that will provide guidance in various aspects of career building.
- For the research years, a 50% salary support of the appropriate standard PGY level stipend will be provided by the Clinical Scholars Program (the other 50% will be provided by the research mentor).
- Previous meaningful research experience.
- Demonstrated commitment to research and academic activities.
- Residents with MD/PhD degree are particularly encouraged to apply.
APPLICATION and printable INSTRUCTIONS can be downloaded here.
Please send the completed application electronically by Friday, November 2, 2012 to:
Michelle Morrison, Clinical and Translational Sciences, GSBS