Additional Information on Tax Filing

U.S. tax law is very complicated. Only authorized tax prepares are covered from possible liability if a tax form is not completed properly on behalf of the individual. Therefore, Immigration Services cannot assist preparing federal or state tax returns. We have provided some additional information below to help you comply with your individual tax filing responsibilities while you are in the U.S.

Documents from UMMS - How to obtain tax filing forms & publications - Filing Resources

Tax Reporting Documents from UMMS

  • Form W-2 Wage and Tax Statement* - statement of all income NOT covered under a tax treaty.  This is mailed to your home address by UMMS Payroll Office by January 31, 2012. 
  • Form 1042-S - Foreign Person's U.S. Source Income Subject to Withholding* - statement of all income covered under tax treaty agreement.  This is sent out by March 15, 2012.

*Individuals who have a combination of U.S. source funding covered under a treaty and funding not covered under a treaty, will receive both a Form W-2 (for the non-treaty funding) and a Form 1042-S (for funding covered under treaty benefit).  These individuals should wait until they receive BOTH documents before filing their federal and state income tax returns.

How to obtain tax filing forms & publications

  • Download federal forms and publications from
  • Download Massachusetts forms and publications from --> For Individuals and Families --> Personal Income Tax --> Forms & Publications
  • Contact the IRS Forms Distribution Center at 1-800-829-3676 (1-800-TAX-FORM)
  • Contact the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 and wait for appropriate voice prompts
  • Visit your local Public Library as they normally have a supply of forms and instructions
  • Contact or visit the local IRS office [120 Front Street, Worcester - 508-793-8227]

 Filing Resources

  • U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens (IRS Publication 519) - Contains useful information on a variety of issues affecting foreign nationals and their U.S. tax status.
  • U.S. Tax Treaties (IRS Publication 901) - Contains detailed information on U.S. tax treaties.
  • Tax Filing Assistance
    • Cintax - software that provides assistance for non-resident aliens ONLY.  Does not assist with State filing requirments
    • IS Taxes - software that provides assistance for non-resident aliens ONLY. Also has links and information about State filing, but does not assist with actual State form completion.
    • Gary R. Engler and Company, Certified Public Accountants & Advisors - tax preparation specialist for foreign nationals.
    • Software Programs for Resident Alien Tax Filing Assistance- There are many programs to assist resident aliens (who are taxed like U.S. citizens) including TaxAct and TurboTax.  Since there are so many options in this area, we cannot endorse one program.
    • Contact a tax preparation specialist. Be sure to confirm, prior to any agreements, that the specialist is aware of tax issues/forms for non-resident aliens (if applicable).
    • Bunker Hill Community College - Volunteer Income Tax Assistance - Will require travel to Boston, MA for an appointment.  If you are a non-resident alien for tax purposes or a recipient of a tax treaty, please contact the program directly at the number provided to confirm that the volunteer you are scheduled with can help with your particular tax situation.