The University is committed to providing our residents the very best in health plan choices available. All plans provide comprehensive coverage and the flexibility to make the right choice for you and your family. Choices include Indemnity Plans, PPO’s (Preferred Provider Organization), HMO’s (Health Maintenance Organizations) and an EPO (Exclusive Provider Organization). Coverage is effective on the first of the month following 60 days of employment.
The plans currently offered include:
- UniCare State Indemnity Plan w/CIC – w/o CIC
- UniCare State Indemnity Plan Plus
- UniCare State Indemnity Community Choice
- Navigator by Tufts Health Plan
- Harvard Pilgrim Independence Plan
- Fallon Select
- Fallon Direct
- Harvard Pilgrim Primary Choice
- Health New England
- Neighborhood Health Plan
For complete plan details, go to: www.mass.gov/gic. A GIC Benefit Guide can be obtained in the Benefits Department or accessed online on the Benefits website.
- When to enroll - You must enroll as a new hire during your first 31days of employment, otherwise, you may enroll during the open enrollment period held annually every April/May. NOTE: Certain life change events (marriage, divorce, birth of child, adoption) may enable you to enroll other than as a new hire or during open enrollment. Check the Benefits website (Life Events section) for more information.
- Available to employees, spouses, same sex spouses* and dependent children up to the age of 26. A GIC Dependents Age 19-26 Application for Coverage form is required to cover dependents in this age bracket. You must provide a copy of your marriage certificate if covering a spouse and/or birth certificates if covering any children.
* As a result of the difference in state and federal tax laws regarding same sex marriage, coverage provided to a same sex spouse will result in additional taxable income for you – you should contact the Benefits Department for information.
NOTE: If you have health insurance coverage provided to you by another source, it is recommended you enroll in the Basic Life Insurance plan only. Enrollment in this plan will enable you to enroll in one of our plans outside of open enrollment under certain, specific circumstances.
EMPLOYEE SHARE OF GIC HEALTH INSURANCE PREMIUMS
HEALTH INSURANCE RATES EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2010
(Includes $5,000 Basic Life Insurance)
Fallon Community Health Plan – Direct Care
Fallon Community Health Plan – Select Care
Harvard Pilgrim Independence Plan
Harvard Pilgrim Primary Choice
Health New England
NHP Care Plan (Neighborhood Health Plan)
Tufts Health Plan Navigator
Tufts Health Plan Spirit
UniCare State Indemnity Plan Basic with CIC (Comprehensive)
UniCare State Indemnity Plan without CIC (Non-Comprehensive)
UniCare State Indemnity Plan/Community Choice
UniCare State Indemnity Plan/Plus
Health insurance deductions begin one month prior to effective date.