Thanks for your interest in serving as an advisor for the capstone project. The capstone project is a four year longitudinal experience for students. Students are to identify an area of medicine about which they are passionate and engage in a project to explore that topic. Advisors are needed to provide guidance to students starting Winter semester of their second year. It is anticipated that advisors will commit 1 hour per month per student for approximately 18 months. The information obtained through this form will be shared with students so that they can search for and then reach out to potential advisors to determine the level of interest in working together on a capstone project. If you would like additional information about the capstone project please visit our website at http://www.umassmed.edu/OME/Capstone-CSD/CSD.aspx or email CSD@umassmed.edu.
Faculty or Community Leader
first last degree title
prefered Contact Information
Area(s) of Interest/Inquiry
(for keyword search)
Additional Relevant Information
Do you have a faculty appointment?
Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI)
For some student research projects, IRB approval may be necessary.
Please answer whether you have completed the CITI training.
Please acknowledge the following CSD advisor responsibilities.
- As an advisor, I understand I am making a commitment to work with a student throughout the life of his/her Capstone project (approximately 1 hour per month for two years).*
- I will facilitate a smooth transition to a new advisor in the event there is a change in my UMMS standing or responsibilities.
- I will advise no more than one student or one small group of students (2-3) from each of the four curriculum years (no more than 4 projects at any given point).
- I will advise only those students in whose projects I have expertise and interest.
- I will provide guidance to the student as he/she develops, writes, and presents a Capstone project.
- I will participate in the evaluation of my advisees' Capstone projects through the review of regular student generated reports, and other evaluations deemed necessary.
- I am not a Learning Communities mentor.
- I will guide the student(s) through the appropriate IRB or IACUC process(es).
- I will contact the Capstone Scholarship & Discovery course leadership immediately if I have questions, comments, or concerns.
*Faculty advisor contribution to the Capstone Scholarship & Discovery course is represented through Educational Efforts Assignment to my academic department.
Please refer others whom you feel would be interested in and appropriate to this opportunity to serve as an advisor to the Capstone Project to this webpage http://umassmed.edu/Capstone-Advisor-Interest.aspx