- Who We Are
- Research and Publications
- Contact Us
Creating and Managing an Integrated Primary Care Practice
A Mini-Course for Administrators and Physician Leaders
Faculty: Alexander Blount, EdD and Ronald Adler, MD
10:30am - 12:30pm EST
Introduction to Integrated Primary Care (2 hours)
- Healthcare crisis in the US and current transformation processes (PCMH, ACO)
- Role of Primary Care (PC) in healthcare transformation nationally and in each health system.
- Integrated Primary Care (IPC) is best thought of an expansion and enriching of Primary Care rather than as a changing of venue for mental health or substance abuse services.
- Behavioral Health (BH) needs in PC and how these needs are presented.
- Program types for adding BH services for PC patients.
- Cost and outcome evidence related to truly integrated models when compared to coordinated and co-located models.
Transforming the Organization (2 hours)
- Role of leadership in successful integration.
- Envisioning the future model of integrated practice and setting goals
- The advantage of using the transformation to IPC as a platform for Patient Centered Medical Home transformation.
- Make up of the Leadership Team (LT) that shepherds the organization through the process of integration (administrator, physician “champion”, behavioral health lead, nursing lead, office administration lead)
- Areas of research that the LT needs to undertake.
- Planning for the transformation of workflows with minimal disruption.
3:30 – 5:30pm EST
Transforming Clinical Practice (2 hours)
- How LT members can bring Clinical Team (CT) members into the workflow change.
- From “physician led team” to “team supported physician” .
- The advantages of leveraging screening into a new workflow.
- Role clarity and task flexibility in successful teams.
- How team members learn to pass a relationship with the patient to other team members.
- The roles of BHC, Care Manager (CM) and Care Coordinator (CC) on the team, especially where there is not a different person for each role.
- Team work-practices that save time and increase patient activation and patient team membership.
- Evolving documentation to maximize financial return.